Crossed Battery leads...oops!

Isaac

I've officially joined the bozo club with this move. Replaced my tired old battery on my 2010 vfr1200f with a new fully charged lithium battery. I mistakenly connected the wrong lead with the positive end of the battery and got a strong buzzing sound. I turned the battery around and connected everything correctly, but the engine now won't fire even though it turns over strongly...what else: The fuses under the seat have been meter checked and all good...didn't check the 50amp fuse. The horn, headlights and tailight/breaklight all work. What doesn't work: The front and rear directional lights or the emergency light and when I turn the key on the flashing engine light goes on as well. What else should I check....I need help from an electrical guru...its a long haul to get this bike to a shop!

85D8611A-6B79-4B97-862B-6AA9EC474F57.jpeg

3 hours ago, squirrelman said:

will probably need to replace starter lock-out diode.

I did find the main 50amp fuse housed in a small red box under the seat was toast so hopefully when I replace that fuse my bike will be 100%.....🙏

• Member Contributer

Hi Isaac.

Just to be clear. Did you hear the "strong buzzing sound" as you incorrectly connected the battery leads? OR after that when/if you turned the ignition switch to ON?

A big issue here is IF you turned the Ignition to ON with the battery cables wrong.

Hopefully the main 50a fuse blew the moment you connected the cables with the current path probably going through the R/R. As to how the R/R may have faired you'll soon see!

Loosing the 50a Fuse takes out your Fuel Pump and Throttle By Wire power, so explains why you can crank but no start.

Fingers crossed all is ok once the 50a fuse is replaced.

Lets know how you go. Sad situation to hear of, but, I bet you're not the first.

Thanks!....most folks won’t admit they’ve done it.  I even thought about saying my son did it, but the truth will set you free adage won out. If I had done a bit more research prior to installing the new battery I would have learned that lithium batteries work even if installed upside down on the bike. I’ll keep you posted!  Thanks for your support...this is a great forum!

Archived