Clunky shifts?

Hello all,

End of last summer I began noticing the shifting on my 2010 VFR 1200 was getting a little more clunky, particularly between first and second gear.  I also had more instances where I ended up in neutral when trying to shift into second.  I was due for an oil change, and once clean oil went in it was just fine again.  Fired up this spring and after about a thousand miles I am noticing the same thing.  It's not as if the gears are grinding and short of hitting neutral a little more often, I don't have problems shifting gears.  It is just noticeably more clunky, and every now and then I can actually feel the clunk/shift through the clutch lever.  Local shop suggested new clutch fluid, which I will definitely try when I have a chance.  Bike has about 27,000 miles on it and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original fluid still.  Looking around the internet it looks like a failing master cylinder could create clunky shifting?  It may just be the age of the bike, but I just want to make sure it's not something else that is needing attention.  Just wanted to get every one's opinion and thoughts on the situation.  Has anyone else seen anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

Very worth it to flush the clutch fluid and easier to do if you suck out the brake fluid from the clutch master first, but I think changing oil is what’s indicated.  My ‘12 shifts very well in the first two thousand miles after an oil change, then gets “notchy” till I change the oil again.  I’m going to switch to Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil 

and let you know. 

• Member Contributer

Also, modern thinking regarding moto oil grades seems to have shifted a bit.  Seems to be the 10w-30 is preferred vs 10w-40 since it contains less viscosity improvers helping the oil to shear less and then hopefully remaining in grade longer - hence, hopefully shifting better for a longer period of time. I am running Maxima Pro Plus+ 10W-30 partly because they claim it has some ester added. 

• Member Contributer

FactoryPro Star Shift kit...solves a lot of the "clunkiness" issues.  Nice "snick!" shifts...

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodh91.html

LiftTruck installed on a 5th Gen and a 6th Gen I believe...even if the Stock is fairly new...he likes the upgrade...

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the forum comes through again! Flushed the clutch fluid and it immediately seems much better. I just ran to the gas station and back but it shifted so smooth! Thanks for all your input. 

• 2 months later...

Been riding for over 40 years and am embarrassed to admit I did not know of this.  My 2004, just bought last winter (from a dealer) and only started riding this spring, shifted rather poorly right from the day I first used it.  Assumed the prior owner may have messed it up some or that it was just the way they shifted.  Before my first oil change recently, I checked the oil level.  It was somewhat above the upper level.  Before changing the oil I siphoned some of it out to get between the lines and took it for another ride.  Night & day, it now shifts like a dream.  My bad for assuming a dealer had done the service correctly.  Live & learn 😳

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, BadgerStan said:

Before changing the oil I siphoned some of it out to get between the lines and took it for another ride.  Night & day, it now shifts like a dream.  My bad for assuming a dealer had done the service correctlyLive & learn

Wow! I've never heard of slightly lowering the oil level having a dramatic effect on gear shifting. Has anyone else experienced this? Can't understand the logic of how this could have such a big impact. I've certainly experienced an overfilled oil situation but with no detriment to shifting as far as I can recall.

I did pull probably a third of a quart out, so it was a substantial amount but I don't understand the connection either.  Also seems to rev out to higher rpms much easier now.  Hopefully someone with more mechanical knowledge than me (pretty much everyone!) may be able to shed some light on it.  Google searches into other forums bring up quite a few other people that have experienced the same results with other bikes.  

Archived