97 VFR 750 mods

YorkieBeaR

Question

Hi all new member and pretty much a total noob please bear with me.

I have a '97 VFR 750 and I was hoping to replace the standard HUD with a digital one of course I dont know if this is possible?

I also want to make the bike "my own" dont really want to be flying by the seat of my pants at neck breaking speeds, I have been told the 750's are very thirsty it's my first big bike (I've had a couple of 125s in my time) I'm looking to make it more economical. I've been told about the part that goes on it is the regulator I believe and to replace it with an R1 one but any general advise would be most welcome.

TIA 

20180712_142521.jpg

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Welcome!!!

The 750 is not as thirsty as the 800i.... 

Ride her for a while and see if you are happy with her first.  Rejetting is something to consider...

But first I'd take it to a dyno shop/someone to (check) sync the carbs and check/set the air fuel ratio.

Digital clusters have been done, search for Kosko

I would hold off buying parts like a regulator, measure the battery, generator and regulator 1st. Search "the Drill"

Thirsty! Wouldn't a Nookie Brown 🙂

Thanks Dutchy,

Rejetting is that getting new injectors or having the old ones cleaned?

I've seen a few digital gauges (see pic)  but I cant find ont that will fill the gap so to speak.

I do like the gear indicator but I dont think mine has it on the standard one (waiting for delivery).

I have also been told about changing the suspension and getting some braided hoses and breaks is this just a speed advantage?

Screenshot_20190504-213728_eBay.jpg

• Member Contributer

That is the model I wanted but I couldn't find a good one, so I got a Gen5 instead. IMO the 4 is a very, very nice bike your and photo looks good!

Jetting = changing/optimizing the jets and or needles in your carbs.

If its starting and idling fine, just get out there and put a few tanks of gas through it! Check your millage from each tank and compare with what others are getting on their Gen4's. Fuel economy, exhaust colour and engine smoothness through the rev range will give you a good indication if anything needs to be done to the carbs. Spark plug condition is a good indicator too but a bit more involved to check.

Before you get into the carbs too deep, make sure the air cleaner element is clean.

Your charge system has likely been delt with already if it needed it. I thought the gen4's were pretty good charge wise? Doing 'The Drill' will help you establish its condition and get you familiar with things and your options.

Consider adding a volt meter to the bike, its cheap and easy and will give a heads up if your charge system starts to fail.

At some point you might want to change out your brake and clutch fluid. In my experience, many previous owners are tardy on this side of maintenance.

Thanks Zarquon,

I have bought it from a bike shop included in the price was a full year MOT and a full service.

I am really looking forward to jumping on and giving it a blast 😁.

I have 16 days until my final bike test and my instructor is pretty confident that I'll pass I'm also confident so fingers crossed I'll be flying round the north east of the UK soon enough.

Here's a pic from the other side.

Happy riding to you all 👍

20180712_142536.jpg

• Member Contributer

Congratulations on your very tidy looking VFR750.

My '91 & '92 VFR750s would get 150-210 miles to a tank - if you ran it dry. The fuel gauge is VERY pessimistic. When it reads E and the low fuel light illuminates the tank is still about full. Capacity is 19 litres or 4.2 gallons Imp (5.0 gal US)

Like Dutchy says, get out and enjoy your VFR for awhile before making changes.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:00 PM, Dutchy said:

The 750 is not as thirsty as the 800i.... 

I hesitate to question Dutchy, but my Gen.5 VFR800s got slightly better mileage than my 750s. The 800 has a 21 litre tank so range was noticeably better. And my current '09 VTec gets even better mileage and has an even larger 22 litre capacity.

• Member Contributer

Very nice 4th gen.... I still have much love for the 4th gen, I owned one and put 30K miles on it. Back then, I was on it constantly and had several riding buddies that we would go out near every weekend.

Except for a Corbin saddle, I left it stock and rode the hell out of it. I did change a R/R once as that was the only maintenance required.  I checked the valve clearances at 24K and all were in spec. 

Carburation wise, ever time I checked the plugs, they were the most perfect tan color you could ask for. No tweeking needed. 

Enjoy! 

• Member Contributer

Boy that looks nice.  Congrats.  What kind of hugger is on it - can't quite tell from the photos?  My only complaint with my 4th gen were the softly sprung forks.  Nothing that a good suspension tweak couldn't cure.  Other than that I loved that bike - I regret trading it in as will the former owner of this one.  Never had a problem with it and it was beautifully made.  The 4th gen VFR was the golden age for Honda  Great bikes. 

Cogswell,

Hugger? Sorry still learning.there was an incident while the bike was parked and my right front indicator is broken and the fairing is scratched I wasnt with the bike do no clue what happened but trying to find a front indicator lens for less that £50 was a challenge but I did succeed 👍.

The front suspension is quite stiff so may of already been tinkered with

Archived