• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

That's awesome, Thank you Marooncobra. 

I'm shocked how much bigger the HISS key actually is. I'll make up a mock key and do some experimentation this week. I'll keep you posted! 

Cheers

Do you want me to take some video inserting the key, turning on and the employing the steering lock?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Do you want me to take some video inserting the key, turning on and the employing the steering lock?

Thanks, Marooncobra. But I don't think that'll be necessary. I just spent the last 5 hours making another prototype. A rough one, stainless steel is hard for me to work with. I used 1.4mm thick material this time and found that at least with my key it works and allows the lock to actuate properly. So I think the thinner material is going to be a solid solution to make this a simple bolt on application. 

You can see in the photo I have the original aluminum part installed along with the stainless steel part. This is to compensate for the material I sanded off of the bottom of the bezel. 

I am going to draw the keys in Solidworks and make sure this will work with the HISS key dimensions too. Not sure I'll be able to get to do that this evening, but I'll try. 

IMG_20190514_175243828.jpg

IMG_20190514_174253531.jpg

IMG_20190514_174249768.jpg

IMG_20190514_181244773.jpg

• Member Contributer

Alright, I had some time to get the Keys overlaid in Solidworks. The Blue Key is the HISS Key and the Red key is Non HISS - you can see a considerable size difference. I have also put in the black bezel in relation to the measurements I have taken to my key.

You can see there is some interference with the bezel and the HISS key (highlighted in yellow in the pic). I am not sure this is enough interference to prevent the lock from being able to actuate properly.

I am also assuming the HISS bezel has a similar center profile as the Non HISS bezel.

Key Overlay1.PNG

Key Overlay2.PNG

Key Overlay3.PNG

• TriumphTraitor changed the title to 12v Power outlet plug mount/USB mount
  • Member Contributer

Triumphtraitor

I did some checking on my HISS ring /key clearance and the key does not touch the ring currently even when locking the steering lock.. Even if you raised the HISS ring by 2mm I still don’t think there would be any interference with the key body.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Triumphtraitor

I did some checking on my HISS ring /key clearance and the key does not touch the ring currently even when locking the steering lock.. Even if you raised the HISS ring by 2mm I still don’t think there would be any interference with the key body.

That's really good news Marooncobra! Thank you for investigating that on your end.

I got a quote from a local supplier to have these manufactured - It's the same cost for them to produce 1 bracket, as it is to make 10 (which includes a fairly hefty set up cost). To avoid the setup charge I would need to order about 550 brackets, which might be a pipe dream.

If I can get 10 people interested in buying one I will certainly go ahead and invest in the manufacturing.

To recoup the manufacturing costs I would have to sell the brackets at $19.50 CAD each plus shipping.

Let me know your thoughts.

Anyone else interested in a bracket???

Cheers,

Hi all, 

So I've decided to upgrade the bike for long hauls by adding a GPS mount and power outlet to my 2009 ABS. 

I didn't have any room to mount the power outlet on the inner fairing plastics because the ABS module takes up so much room. 

I'm working on creating a new mounting bracket to hold either a power outlet or USB, or combination of the two. 

I'll hopefully be working on the prototype this weekend depending on the weather and other commitments, but here is the solution I have come up with so far. 

As I progress I'll update you all with pics of the completed project

IMG_20190502_180810977.thumb.jpg.3f5db40d5b9fd8a2cf8430a78c855c74.jpg
IMG_20190502_180831376.thumb.jpg.87c076109f9664c8a8111546650252e1.jpg

017cc5892f473f8bb246a035aac4e8a0.jpg3079e8e264e810fe5cf2fd2e75935e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 5/19/2019 at 6:04 PM, duccmann said:

017cc5892f473f8bb246a035aac4e8a0.jpg3079e8e264e810fe5cf2fd2e75935e5a.jpg

Thanks for sharing your install Duccmann. This mounting method did cross my mind, but I had concerns about the rigidity of the bracket and the singular fastening point.

Have you found that you have much flex when you go to plug in your accessory?

Thanks for sharing your install Duccmann. This mounting method did cross my mind, but I had concerns about the rigidity of the bracket and the singular fastening point.
Have you found that you have much flex when you go to plug in your accessory?

Not at all
Been there now 8 years.
It’s a waterproof marine plug with the thick rubber cover

On 5/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, TriumphTraitor said:

Is there anyone in the Toronto, Ontario area with a VFR that has HISS, willing to test out the prototype bracket on their bike? 

TT, have an 08 with HISS and am just North of the Big Smoke.  Will PM you with the boring particulars of latitude and longitude to see if can work.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFRpwr said:

TT, have an 08 with HISS and am just North of the Big Smoke.  Will PM you with the boring particulars of latitude and longitude to see if can work.

That sounds great, VFRpwr. Great timing too as I was just about to place the order for the small production batch. 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, TriumphTraitor said:

Thanks, Maroon Cobra. I appreciate the positive feedback! Let me send out a few emails and make a few phone calls this week and see what a small batch would cost to have made.

One thing I know for sure, is if there is enough interest, and I can get the volumes up would help bring the per piece cost down.

I have tweaked the design slightly since I posted the above renderings, here is what it looks like now. I refined a few dimensions.

image.png.2d2ec48146f662448e978a1ba765ad78.png

I have also Designed a single sided version as well

image.png.2e098d5329aaf43b9f2f330d9b37f5db.png

If any one else is interested, let me know.

Suggestion: could you merge these into 1 piece with the ON/OFF/LOCK, bolt holes and the side holes for mounting the devices, all on one flat part?
That would get ride of the unfortunate half-overlap in the through-holes for the text.

• Member Contributer
Suggestion: could you merge these into 1 piece with the ON/OFF/LOCK, bolt holes and the side holes for mounting the devices, all on one flat part?
That would get ride of the unfortunate half-overlap in the through-holes for the text.
Hey Ignoramist, thank you for the suggestion, I do like the sounds of that and I will certainly look into perusing that depending on how the prototype testing pans out.

Now, keep in mind that The ignition cylinder sits about 9mm higher than the triple clamp. Which would raise the whole bracket up significantly.

When I got the quote for fabricating the pieces with the marking cut into it, I was given a disclaimer that they may not be legible due to their small size, which would make me weary about making these(unless I can see if they would laser etch, but I'm sure that would drive the price through the roof). So I just had the manufacturer requote with just the bracket itself.

I'm hoping that my meet up with VFRpwr this weekend will prove to me 100% that the bracket will properly fit under the stock bezel without modifications especially for HISS. this will eliminate any need for a secondary piece to cover the ignition cylinder.

I really want this bracket to look as stock as possible.

Cheers

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Hey All,

Just want to give you a quick update on where I am at with this. I met up with VFRpwr this weekend (Big thanks for taking the time to test fit the prototype) and we hashed out a few more details.

VFRpwr gave me a great suggestion on trying to get the VFR logo etched onto the surface.

I have just resubmitted the bracket for quoting to the manufacturer, but here is what the end product should look like. I tried to maximize on the minimal real-estate I had.

image.png.069f73b31c885da157e37cd514ebc7b7.png

Fingers crossed that the etching wont add a significant cost to the overall part. I think it certainly helps with the aesthetics. Once I get the quote back I will have the manufacturer make one prototype before the batch run. As soon as I have it in my hands I will upload a photo of the piece.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Got the first prototype lasered today. Going to do one last test fit on my bike and then I'll get the rest of the order completed! IMG_20190606_160527112.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Managed to get the laser cut piece mounted and I am very pleased with the fitment, the VFR logo makes it stand out very well (thank you VFRpwr for that suggestion)

I'm going to give the manufacture the go-ahead and get the remaining parts made!

If there is anyone else that is interested in these let me know! - $19.50 CAD + Shipping

Installation Instructions.pdf

IMG_20190606_204811246.thumb.jpg.6c14b5689accfd02246a46d46cb0cb7f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Ponchoh said:

If these fit a Gen 8, I want one.

Hey ponchoh, unfortunately it won't fit the 8th gen. However, I'm willing to develop something similar for the 8th gen if there is someone local in my area with one that can let me take some measurements 

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, CaptChaos said:

I'm certainly interested in this as well.

Hey CaptChaos, Sounds good. I take it you have a VFR1200? Ill see if there is anyone close to me as well with a 1200 that can help with measurements. Just on quick glance i think the upper clamp on the VFR800 and VFR1200 have a similar shape.

• Member Contributer

If this will fit a 5th Gen you can count me in for one. (I skimmed the thread but didn't see it mentioned)

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

If this will fit a 5th Gen you can count me in for one. (I skimmed the thread but didn't see it mentioned)

Hey adkfinn, hotshoerob test fitted a cardboard cutout for me and this is roughly how it looks. There is a bit of a gap due to the slightly different shape of the triple clamp, but it does fit  

If you're interested send DM me your mailing address and I can get a quote on shipping! 

1727281062_mount-5thgen.jpg.5dfbd185620a5ad66c8b17da37d665b6.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, TriumphTraitor said:

Hey adkfinn, hotshoerob test fitted a cardboard cutout for me and this is roughly how it looks. There is a bit of a gap due to the slightly different shape of the triple clamp, but it does fit  

If you're interested send DM me your mailing address and I can get a quote on shipping! 

1727281062_mount-5thgen.jpg.5dfbd185620a5ad66c8b17da37d665b6.jpg

Thanks TT! I found the thread in the 5th Gen forum. I have a '98, so it sounds like I might be out of luck since the mounting tabs aren't there? I'll have to take a look at the bike when I get home. 

Archived