• Member Contributer

Hi all, 

So I've decided to upgrade the bike for long hauls by adding a GPS mount and power outlet to my 2009 ABS. 

I didn't have any room to mount the power outlet on the inner fairing plastics because the ABS module takes up so much room. 

I'm working on creating a new mounting bracket to hold either a power outlet or USB, or combination of the two. 

I'll hopefully be working on the prototype this weekend depending on the weather and other commitments, but here is the solution I have come up with so far. 

As I progress I'll update you all with pics of the completed project

IMG_20190502_180810977.jpg

IMG_20190502_180831376.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I spent a couple hours in Solidworks refining the measurements and I've made up a cut template. 

Time to get out the tools and hack into the aluminum and make myself the dual mount 

IMG_20190503_224600931.jpg

IMG_20190504_085928332.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well I managed to find a few hours, got the aluminum piece machined up and installed. 

To me this is the perfect solution for mounting a power socket and USB. Only downside is that it raises the bezel around the key hole and now I cannot use the steering lock. 

Though not a major issue right now for me. In the future I'll probably eliminate the bezel or modify it to allow the key to push down enough to engage the steering lock 

IMG_20190504_193046854_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190504_193041544_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190504_183748174.jpg

IMG_20190504_183736139.jpg

IMG_20190504_193022052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190504_184459052.jpg

IMG_20190504_181410191_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

Neat installation. Bitch about the steering lock. I would cry if my bike got nicked because the bars wouldn't lock...

Surely you can shave the back of the plastic collar or the sides of the key to make it work?

Does your usb socket have a volt meter too?

On recommendation from another VFRD member, I wired my auxillary circuit via a relay operated  by the tail light circuit. It switches a dedicated, fused output wired from the battery and puts bugger all extra load on the fragile factory wiring.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Zarquon 

That was my thoughts exactly with the bezel. However, it has these brass inserts that are barely 3/16" deep untill they bottom out. If I grind them down, I'll be left with no threads. My second thought was to see if I can push the brass inserts deeper into the bezel then grind the bezel. But, I worry I'll crack the plastic. Guess I'll just have to experiment and see. 

Wiring is the fun part for me. I'm slightly OCD when it comes to making wiring look factory installed. I have created a dedicated 15A fused circuit which is controlled by a relay that I have tucked in beside the battery. As for the relay trigger, I am using a circuit coming off of the ignition switch under the right side cowl that controls the light circuit. As you mentioned the relay magnet uses bugger all in current so I figured this would be the best place to tap into.

My USB doesn't have a volt meter unfortunately, I got these as a gift from my dad who ended up trading in his bike for one with a power outlet installed. So I got his surplus parts. Not complaining one bit about free. 

I have run out of daylight so I'll have to get back at this tomorrow sadly. 

Cheers! 

IMG_20190504_204513772.jpg

IMG_20190504_201957344.jpg

IMG_20190504_201947552.jpg

IMG_20190504_202010643.jpg

• Member Contributer

The wiring installation looks and sounds like its all propper. Watch for chafe on the insulation.

Honda saw you coming with those brass inserts... Can you attack the shoulders of the key or get one cut that's got a better shaped handle? Consider getting a bezel from a wreck before risking the original...? Or make an aluminium bezel as a replacement? 

• Member Contributer

Absolutely, zip ties, wire-loom and heat shrink are my best friends when it comes to wiring. Last thing I want is an electrical fire on a long trip. Already seen that once on a friends 2002 VFR. Had to leave the bike at a dealers down in the Mid part of the USA while he hitch a ride back to Canada on the back of another bike. Ended up needing a whole new harness.

I do like the sounds of making an aluminum bezel, that would look pretty wicked I would think. Certainly put my basic lathe skills to the test haha.

• Member Contributer

Ok, so.... I did some experimenting on the plastic bezel... I gently heated a screw inserted into the brass and it was just enough that I could push the insert deeper into the bezel! 

Think I've got My solution 

IMG_20190504_212934211.jpg

• Member Contributer

Success! Thankfully this bezel was a thermoplastic and reacted to heat well... I got both brass inserts pushed in 1/8"and I sanded the bezel to match.

Looks totally factory 

IMG_20190504_225333444.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got my wiring harness finished up and installed this morning. Everything fit like a charm. Hard to even tell I added in the extra wiring. 

Tested the steering lock with the modified bezel and it works flawlessly. 

All that is left is waiting on my Chinese RAM knockoff mount to arrive so I can mount my GPS from the center of the triple clamp. 

IMG_20190505_101254974_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190505_105819271_BURST001.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've made some modifications to the design and made a key bezel in CAD.

I tried to replicate the plastic bezel with a flat plate of aluminum.

Any thoughts?

Side Assembly.PNG

Top Assembly.PNG

• Member Contributer

Hey, that looks great. If you are going to get this made on a CNC machine how much would it be to make a few and sell them on here? I would buy one with the bezel in black.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Hey, that looks great. If you are going to get this made on a CNC machine how much would it be to make a few and sell them on here? I would buy one with the bezel in black.

Thanks, Maroon Cobra. I appreciate the positive feedback! Let me send out a few emails and make a few phone calls this week and see what a small batch would cost to have made.

One thing I know for sure, is if there is enough interest, and I can get the volumes up would help bring the per piece cost down.

I have tweaked the design slightly since I posted the above renderings, here is what it looks like now. I refined a few dimensions.

image.png.2d2ec48146f662448e978a1ba765ad78.png

I have also Designed a single sided version as well

image.png.2e098d5329aaf43b9f2f330d9b37f5db.png

If any one else is interested, let me know.

• Member Contributer

Great job TriumphTraitor. Guess this might only be suitable for NON HISS Ignition Switch Assemblies?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Fingers crossed you get some responses to purchase a bunch of these. It’s such a smooth fit.

I'm hoping I can tap into some old manufacturing contacts that I used to frequently get prototypes made from a previous job I had, so fingers crossed indeed!

38 minutes ago, Grum said:

Great job TriumphTraitor. Guess this might only be suitable to NON HISS Ignition Switch Assemblies?

Thank you! For now, unfortunately this would be a NON HISS only application. The HISS module is part of the black bezel that surrounds the key hole. The only way around this would most likely be similar to how I pushed in the brass inserts deeper into my bezel and sanded the plastic down by 1/8".

One solution that I can think of is perhaps if I get one prototype made out of a thinner material, such as 18ga Stainless steel. I just worry that at this thickness the rigidity wouldn't be there. But, with 18ga only being approximately 0.05" thick, in theory, the key should still work with the stock bezel.

Do you know if there is any size difference between a Non HISS key and HISS key?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

Do you know if there is any size difference between a Non HISS key and HISS key?

Sorry, I don't know that, all 6gens in Australia have the HISS. Think the HISS antenna is mounted within the black plastic upper bezel. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Grum said:

Sorry, I don't know that, all 6gens in Australia have the HISS. Think the HISS antenna is mounted within the black plastic upper bezel. 

You are correct Grum, the HISS is molded right into the bezel. 

Are you able to take a few measurements of your key similar to what I have in this pic? 

Marooncobra, I take it yours is an HISS model as well? 

IMG_20190512_092757718.jpg

• Member Contributer

If its just the width of the key head that required the shaving of the bezel, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just shave the keys instead?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

Are you able to take a few measurements of your key similar to what I have in this pic?

Sorry again TriumphTraitor. I currently owned an 8gen which has a wave key, not the same as the 6gen. From memory I do recall the head of the key of my 6gen was a bit bigger than the 8gen.

• Member Contributer

That's awesome, Thank you Marooncobra. 

I'm shocked how much bigger the HISS key actually is. I'll make up a mock key and do some experimentation this week. I'll keep you posted! 

Cheers

• Member Contributer
On 5/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, JZH said:

If its just the width of the key head that required the shaving of the bezel, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just shave the keys instead?

Ciao,

JZH

It would be for sure, but I want this to be a clean install requiring no modifications. Plus I'd be concerned with taking too much material off of the rubber coating on the key and having it fall off

• TriumphTraitor changed the title to 12v Power outlet plug mount/USB mount

Archived