Starts w/choke and idles for a while, but once warm dies even w/choke on

28k miles. I can get it started, it idles around 3,300 RPM w/out choke (4k w/choke), then lowers to steadily idle at 1900 RPM. When the heat gauge is midway and the fan kicks in, even putting on choke at this point does nothing and it dies. It will not start again until it's cooled off. I can keep it running if I hold the throttle down, but the engine sounds weaker running.

There was a previous issue of hesitation w/throttle before winter here in Denver. Recently warm here, it seemed to do better after Sea Foam and B-12 (and B-60 for high mileage). My concern at first was that I put the whole bottle of B-12 & ran it through to empty, then full bottle 15oz of B-60 in a full tank to help clean and I'm worried I put too much in. I'm hoping to avoid having all 4 carbs cleaned, but if that's the cause then I'll have to. Also, I'm not terribly mechanically savvy, despite this being my 4th bike. 

IMG_0485.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hey, not sure if you got this fixed or not?  Trying to run a warm engine with choke is a bad idea in any event. At the very least, you'll be fouling the plugs and of course this will only augment the underlying problem.  I would suggest based on what you've said it would be wise to take it to a mechanic.  Just make sure you get a solid reference as to who you can trust.

Very nice looking bike though.

Archived