Where to locate 12V power socket?

Jussi

Hi all,

I have a 2015 VFR800F and I'm planning to install 12V cigarette lighter power socket or 5V USB socket for powering my mobile phone.

I will use my mobile as a navigator, and therefore the socket should be close to steering bar.

I have thought two options.

Option 1, on the left side of the front forks, see the Picture 1.

Option2, on the left side of the tank similarly as in 2017+ models, see the Picture 2.

I haven't yet opened the fairing and I don't know if there will be enough space for option 1.

If anyone has done similar installation, where did you place the socket?

And, other recommendations for the socket location are welcome

Regards

Jussi

VFR800_pic_1.jpg

VFR800_pic_2.jpg

I have done option 1 for power point for my tank bang charger, although it’s only stuck on to the plastic.

I had the 12v installed by the dealer when I bought the bike and they installed it under the seat, which isn’t convenient really.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Jussi said:

Hi all,

I have a 2015 VFR800F and I'm planning to install 12V cigarette lighter power socket or 5V USB socket for powering my mobile phone.

I will use my mobile as a navigator, and therefore the socket should be close to steering bar.

I have thought two options.

Option 1, on the left side of the front forks, see the Picture 1.

Option2, on the left side of the tank similarly as in 2017+ models, see the Picture 2.

I haven't yet opened the fairing and I don't know if there will be enough space for option 1.

If anyone has done similar installation, where did you place the socket?

And, other recommendations for the socket location are welcome

Regards

Jussi

VFR800_pic_1.jpg

VFR800_pic_2.jpg

I posted about how I mounted mine here:

Variable9, your installation inspired me to-do it simple.

I checked the space around the forks, but I did not find suitable place there….

Anyways, here is how I did it.

VFR_USB.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, Jussi said:

Variable9, your installation inspired me to-do it simple.

I checked the space around the forks, but I did not find suitable place there….

Anyways, here is how I did it.

VFR_USB.jpg

Thanks for letting us know your progress @Jussi. I definitely didn’t want to cut any fairings or trim, and the one I was wiring in was low profile enough it fit under the triple on the fork tube. Play around with it down there, how you rotate it around might help your clearance issue. E.g. mine isn’t rotated so it’s easy to use because it wouldn’t go to full lock, so I just have to accept its position as a compromise. 

• Member Contributer

Hey Jussi, 

I have the previous generation VFR, but I encountered a similar situation as you did. No clue as to where and how to mount a USB or 12V outlet that wouldn't require any cutting of plastics.

I realized that there was some space between the ignition and triple tree that comfortably had space for a USB or 12V.

Take a look at what I made to hold the power outlets

The same thing might be able to help you too make a very nice and clean install.

I velcroed the adapter to the battery cover under the seat and just taped the USB wire to the airbox and fed out from the front of the tank with enough length to get to my bar mount. 

Hi TriumphTraitor,

Your installation is absolutely top quality work while comparing it to my 30 minutes quick and dirty installation.

My installation is not that eye catching as the photo suggests.... but let’s see, I may try to camouflage it somehow.

Hi Variable9,

The place where I have the USB socket is now perfect if forgetting how it looks.

I don’t want to compromise how the steering works.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed my Honda OEM 12v power socket in the factory-recommended location.  I then installed a dual USB port charger and ran a 3' (?) cable from there, under the seat, along the left side of the tank to the front.  I used about 3 or 4 black zip-ties to secure it and give a somewhat clean look.

Archived