White smoke, oil smell and losing power when on open Road :-(

masterkush

Hi guys ....
My VTEC is sick.
I don't seem to have used much oil or much if any water but my bike is well sick. After a 5 min run at 90mph it feels like a ghost is turnning my throttle off and then it stalled at the lights.
What should I look for?
(VTEC with 42k miles on the clock otherwise in excellent condition and mostly serviced on time.)

• Member Contributer

Suspect you may have one or more injectors not properly shutting off. You may need to have them professionally cleaned, flow balanced and checked.

Might also be an issue with the Fuel Pressure Regulator - ruptured diaphragm.

Hi Grum,
The local bike shop will charge me $115 US to do a diagnostic and are two weeks waiting time already.
Where could I start with the diagnostics?
I'm a reasonably incompetent mechanic on 80's bike but the VTEC is s bit intimidating.
Where could I start?
Any links?
Thanks,
Mark

• Member Contributer

Hi Mark

Fi diagnostics won't tell you if the Fuel Pressure Reg is ruptured or an injector that is not closing properly.

Is you Fi light On or indicating a flashing code?

If you are not confident about working on the bike, I can only suggest you source a reputable motorcycle mechanic near you to go over the bike.

You can download the service manual from this site (Home Page - downloads)

Just had another thought - has your bike been stored away for a while over winter, could you have bad fuel or water condensation in the tank?

Good Luck.

Thanks .. no used regularly. The Fi light came on a few times over a couple of months but stopping and restarting turned it off.
There is a definite smell of burning oil with white smoke when it starts but that goes away when run.
I probably should have not ridden it when I got that but hoped it would clear up - it didn't of course it D'oh.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, masterkush said:

Thanks .. no used regularly. The Fi light came on a few times over a couple of months but stopping and restarting turned it off.
There is a definite smell of burning oil with white smoke when it starts but that goes away when run.
I probably should have not ridden it when I got that but hoped it would clear up - it didn't of course it D'oh.

OK so the white smoke you're talking about might only be cold engine condensation - so that's not an issue. Your main issue was the stalling at traffic lights and a strange effect with the throttle.

Think you need to go through the procedure of extracting any stored diagnostic codes in the ECM.

Have you confirmed the state of your battery and charging system?

Battery charging fine (now flattish as I locked it in the garage as couldn't face it for 3 weeks) and battery storage fine.
The white smoke did smell quite heavily or burning oil but that did disappear after five mins of running and it had no smell of burning oil when finished riding. 
[I do a daily 12 mile commute with 5 mins of fast highway in the middle]
I'll see who locally might be able to get the diagnostic codes - presume that will require a Honda machine/computer/interface.

Sounds like what my bike recently did. Rebuilt fuel injectors and a new pressure regulator fixed that problem right up. Don't know for sure the reg was bad but we had the part on hand but 2 of the injectors tested no spray pattern but dripping.

• Member Contributer

The FPR check on on RC51 Honda will not differ much from a VFR.

Lift/prop up the tank.

The FPR has a thin tube running off it horizontally.

Remove and place a rag under the FPR

Turn on ignition, dont start engine

If fuel comes from FPR, it is farked

Archived