Sixth Gen VTEC Cam Chain Tensioner theory of failure.

srqjohnson

I had the same issues with my ccts when I bought my 08 abs vfr. When I heard the rattling in the engine my ship sunk, but then I read that there is an issue with the cct and once I saw the type I new the cure. I previously had a xr400 with cct of similar design and similar issues. The cure was manual cct off of ebay. Unfortunately with the vfr access is much more difficult. Never the less I bought 2 manual ccts and I have no issues for the last 8000kms. I replaced the ccts when I was doing the valve check and I had the chance to compare the chain tension from the auto cct and what I had to achieve with the manual cct. Due to limited space the tightening of the locknut can not be done with certainty, but I wire locked the head of the tensioning bolt. I inspect the cct 4000kms ago and no lose bolts or anything. In my case the steel caps were pretty tight fit on the auto cct and there was no real danger of dropping them in to the engine. Loosening of the auto cct is dictated by the vibration of the angine and resonance of the plunger which greatly reduce friction and force required to retract the plunger. 

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Messa said:

I had the same issues with my ccts when I bought my 08 abs vfr. When I heard the rattling in the engine my ship sunk, but then I read that there is an issue with the cct and once I saw the type I new the cure. I previously had a xr400 with cct of similar design and similar issues. The cure was manual cct off of ebay.

I stand by my earlier statement!

On 4/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, Marvelicious said:

I know there are some that advocate manual adjusters, but this doesn't really seem like a good solution to me... I also don't plan to mod my bike to use carburetors, points or a kick starter.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Replaced both at 50,000 miles.  No issues and better low end response for the past 12,000 miles. Please note I do NOT have a Power Commander, nor any other mods to the intakes, exhausts, or electronics.  Yes, I'm coming up on the 64,000 mile valve check. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm not sure why my rebuild of my Cam Chain Tensioner (per the referenced youtube video) didn't work.  I rebuilt/re-tensioned it twice per the vid and still had a lot of noise.  I recently replaced the front and rear CCT and now hear no rattle.  I was going to test the new CCT against the old one on a scale (outward pressure applied by the re-wound spring) but stopped when I remember the CCT doesn't retract, which meant I would have has to rewind the brand new CCT.  At this point, I'm inclined to forego the "rebuild" and just get 2 new ones in another 35K.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, whiteknuckles said:

I'm not sure why my rebuild of my Cam Chain Tensioner (per the referenced youtube video) didn't work.  I rebuilt/re-tensioned it twice per the vid and still had a lot of noise.  I recently replaced the front and rear CCT and now hear no rattle.  I was going to test the new CCT against the old one on a scale (outward pressure applied by the re-wound spring) but stopped when I remember the CCT doesn't retract, which meant I would have has to rewind the brand new CCT.  At this point, I'm inclined to forego the "rebuild" and just get 2 new ones in another 35K.

That's the rub in my mind... I feel like I have the right to expect such a simple but necessary part to have a longer life. Maybe I'm just being stubborn... 

So... would you be willing to donate your used one to Mello Dude to see if we can't get a slightly stiffer spring made?

• Member Contributer

Honda have never been able to design a good cam chain layout and it is all to do with them constantly wanting to make the slipper as straight as possible.

This then causes them to resonate and then the chain causes issues when the tensioner does not advance as it should.

It has been an issue since the 750F back in the late 70's

Archived