Parking garage sensors

KevinWoods

I had a heck of a time getting out of my parking garage this morning because the buried sensors can’t see my bike .  Where I live has a parking garage and there are 2 gates. For both gates I have an access card that lets me in. The problem is my bike isn’t seen by the sensors. One gate has a call button but the other does not. For the 2nd gate I had to wait and follow someone through.

Any tips or tricks?  Do the neodymium magnets really help?

• Member Contributer

Get over the sensor patch & Rev the engine the magnetic field from the gennie will get seen. 

I did some experimenting today and think I have a solution.

If I stop directly on top of the cutout lines and put the side stand down, I was able to get past both gates.   I will have to do some more experiments tomorrow. I ordered some neodymium magnets and am going to see if those help.

Kevin

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, KevinWoods said:

I did some experimenting today and think I have a solution.

If I stop directly on top of the cutout lines and put the side stand down, I was able to get past both gates.   I will have to do some more experiments tomorrow. I ordered some neodymium magnets and am going to see if those help.

Kevin

I've heard of that with stop light sensors, center stand is better (if equipped). Presumably more iron.

• Member Contributer

I've also heard of people mounting a magnet into the heel of riding boots for this reason.  Sounds like an idea for a product right there, maybe a velcro-on magnet strap.  Would have to find a way to do it without interfering with the grip of the footwear on the pegs or ground though.

This is hearsay, of course.  I don't know if even a small, high powered magnet is capable of tripping the sensor loops.

• Member Contributer

Loops are inductive not magnetic. It doesn't matter what type of metal it just has to be close enough to disturb the field. Metal toe sliders come in handy for this because you can set 'em right on the loop.

• Member Contributer

I just remembered that one place I worked the sensor loops were awkward, if you approached head on it would not open, but if you arrived at one side of the lane & crossed the sensor patch at 45 degrees whilst crossing to the other side of the lane it worked a treat. You could then aim at the opening end of the barrier & get out earlier !

Archived