Hopefully Simple

Calculon

• Member Contributer

I just added a Techmount Techgripper holder to my bike, an 07 VFR 800.

11techmount1_zps4mey6rnw.jpg

If you look closely you can see it has an electrical lead off the mount that ends in a pigtail connector.  The kit comes with a very long cord that connects to the battery (which I've done) and now I need to run the cable up to the front of the bike to mate the two pigtail connectors to power the mount for gps/phone.  What is the most ideal way to run the cable and secure it?  Would it be best under the tank or remove the side fairing and find a place to run it?  The instructions say to keep away from heat, I'm assuming they mean exhaust and engine.

13techmount3_zpscegmbam5.jpg

The mount holding a NUVI gps.  The mount itself has a micro USB port and comes with three different cables, one for iPhone 6 and up.

• Member Contributer

Nice job. If it were me I'd probably try and run it neatly down the left side under the tank. Using ty-raps I'm sure you can find ways to attach them supporting your cable, also there is a good exit point just to the left of the left tank bolt, ideal for your pigtail pickup, you could add a final ty-rap for your cable around the steel brake hose just to the left of the left tank bolt.

I like your nice clean Brake and Clutch fluid!:fing02:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

Nice job. If it were me I'd probably try and run it neatly down the left side under the tank.

Thanks, I will give it a try.  Do you know if I need to remove the tank or can I simply lift it up and work around it?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Calculon said:

Thanks, I will give it a try.  Do you know if I need to remove the tank or can I simply lift it up and work around it?

Definitely no need to remove the tank. Just prop it up to the maintenance position, you should be fine to work around it.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again, Grum.  Just wrapped up routing the wire this morning.  Had a lot of excess at the business end by the forks that I had to coil up.  I'm not the most handy but It looks okay.

For the record if anyone is going to install the same mount on a Gen 6 here are a couple of tips.  Get thicker o-rings for the stem.  The stem has two o-rings that fit into a sleeve that drops into the hole where the rubber cap is on the top clamp of the bike.  There is a hex bolt at the top of the stem which expands the sleeve.  The sleeve is too loose with the supplied o-rings.  Second, the manufacturer supplies a wet wipe to moisten the o-rings before inserting, it's okay but I recommend liquid soap as the o-rings tend to leave their channels when pushing into the collar.

Archived