Oil change 2015 VFR 800

vfrbiker

• Member Contributer

I took a look at tanners 8th oil change and noticed...

image.png.6e4183c5ebebef86dd5f493bdc2071a8.png

I dont think I would use either torque spec.... too much..... 

With 5th I can change out with only removing the left panel... mbe that could work on 8th?  

• Member Contributer

19 pounds on the FILTER?  I've always been a hand tight then a quarter turn guy. Has to be maybe 5-10 lbs at the most, I've been doing oil filters that way for literally 40 years.  Spec on the my bike (from the Haynes book of lies, I never looked in the Honda manual) was 7lbs I think. 20 foot pounds seems wrong to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I remember having to call a friend with lots of tools once to yank the oil filter an overzealous mechanic put on my truck. No wrench would work and we ended up collapsing it and getting it off with some channel locks and a screwdriver piercing the  sheet metal for leverage. Man, screw overtightening oil filters! Just makes a huge mess 5000 miles later.

• Member Contributer

Agree with hand tight plus a quarter turn thing. On the drain bolt I'm probably 17ish, I go by feel...

• Member Contributer

Same on the plug. Though I've put a torque wrench on at 20lbs in the past, I've done so many over the decades that I pretty much know the feel. You don't need too much to be secure with crush washers and aluminum threads.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, mello dude said:

I took a look at tanners 8th oil change and noticed...

image.png.6e4183c5ebebef86dd5f493bdc2071a8.png

I dont think I would use either torque spec.... too much..... 

With 5th I can change out with only removing the left panel... mbe that could work on 8th?  

This is what is specced for my RC51 as well

• Member Contributer

I understand the book says that. I just don't understand why the change to higher torque compared to my bike.  That's all I'm trying to express.

I'm sure nothing will be broken doing it to spec, of course.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, thtanner said:

They're what the book calls for. I personally go by feel for the most part. 

Agree thtanner. Checked my records, done 37 VFR Oil and Filter changes, (God knows how many car Oil and Filter changes) have never torqued a filter or drain plug, nor have I ever needed to replace a drain plug washer - not had a drop of oil leak. Common sense and a feel for good tightness is all that's required, in this situation. YMMV.

Oh yeah, keep well away from those death trap K&N Oil Filters with the spot welded nut on top.!!!:ohmy:

Archived