Racing tires (RS) front 100/90/16 and rear 110/90/18

Janusz

Hello all,

My friend is racing in Polish classics races in Honda VF 500 F, unfortunately he can't find a set of track tires for his motorcycle in front size 100/90/16 and rear 110/90/18. Maybe you will help with some kind of selling for such tires?

Regards
Janusz

• Member Contributer

Dzien dobry,

Probably best/only option is a set of (road legal) like Pirelli sport demons...

• Member Contributer

Yeah...  Avon used to make them in the correct sizes,  I still have a set on my VF500F race bike (120/80-16 and I did put a 130/70-18 on the rear that didn't screw up the profile). 

full?d=1497288643

AM22/23 in the Sprint Compound.  They were fantastic, the best bias ply tires I've ever sampled. 

You can go to a 120/80-16 on the front 2.5 rim and a 130/80-18 on the rear 2.75

They do make a 130/650 VB18 cantilever tyre designed specifically to give a 130 section tyre on a narrow rim if you can find one.

Last year my friend used front tyre 120/70-16 Avon AM22 but for bike specification this tyre is too wide.
And he thinks that the original size would be better but we can't find tyres in this size 😞

• Member Contributer

Yeah...   too wide.  There are at least 6 choices in manufacturers that supply 120/80-16 and 130/80-18.  They will be a "street" compound, but brand new they will be fairly soft.

Avon AM26

Bridgestone BT45

Metzeler Lazertec

Michelin Pilot Activ

Pirelli Demon Sport

Conitinental Conti-Go

• Member Contributer

Remember the old Dunlop K591 Sport Elite?  Now it's a Harley tire.  The overhanging tread edge rubbed the swingarm if you went up to a 120 rear.  The Dunlop and Metzeler Comp K (today's Lazertec) was all I had to choose from at my dealer.  

I haven't run any of the above in recent years except the BT45's that I mounted on my niece's Nighthawk.  They had better grip than I expected and her peg feelers got damaged a bit on my test ride after I mounted them. (Royal pain to mount by hand compared to radials.)   I suspect all the tires Captain 80's mentioned will be much better than the stock Bridgestones that came on my 86.  I know the Dunlops and Metzelers were much better even way back then. 

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, tbzep said:

Remember the old Dunlop K591 Sport Elite?  Now it's a Harley tire.  The overhanging tread edge rubbed the swingarm if you went up to a 120 rear.  The Dunlop and Metzeler Comp K (today's Lazertec) was all I had to choose from at my dealer.  

I haven't run any of the above in recent years except the BT45's that I mounted on my niece's Nighthawk.  They had better grip than I expected and her peg feelers got damaged a bit on my test ride after I mounted them. (Royal pain to mount by hand compared to radials.)   I suspect all the tires Captain 80's mentioned will be much better than the stock Bridgestones that came on my 86.  I know the Dunlops and Metzelers were much better even way back then. 

I remember the Dunlops running wide too.  The Comp K is/was not today's Lazertec.  The Laser was today's Lazertec.  The Comp K was a special softer compound Laser for racing/high performance street.

BT45 are pretty good.  I have a set of Conti-Go for a VF1000R I'm gonna try soon.  The Avon AM26 were good on my 1000F but that bike's power/weight are beginning to overwhelm them (the rear is almost done anyway).  The Avon AM26 are good on lighter bikes I've found, I could rail my neighbors GB500 with them.   The Michelins on my friends 86 VFR are pretty nice too.  The stock Bridgestone Exedra were shit.

2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Yeah...   too wide.  There are at least 6 choices in manufacturers that supply 120/80-16 and 130/80-18.  They will be a "street" compound, but brand new they will be fairly soft.

Avon AM26

Bridgestone BT45 

Metzeler Lazertec

Michelin Pilot Activ

Pirelli Demon Sport

Conitinental Conti-Go

Thanks, so I don't have to look for any RS tyres in size what interested my friend?

• Member Contributer

Unless you find some kick ass tires in those stock sizes, but I would go 120 or 110 front and 120 or 130 rear personally.   The 120 and 130 are available in 80 series profile.  The 110 and 120 will prob be 90 series and quite tall.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

I remember the Dunlops running wide too.  The Comp K is/was not today's Lazertec.  The Laser was today's Lazertec.  The Comp K was a special softer compound Laser for racing/high performance street.

No wonder I liked them!   They were the stickiest tires I ever used in the mid to late 80's on my VF-500F and FZ-750 and they lasted just as long if not longer than the Dunlops.  

If I remember correctly the Pirelli Demon's were used in the 80's production racing in the UK, Had them on my FZ750 in the late 80's and they were really soft and sticky, but tyre life was limited, I could destroy a rear within 1000 to 1500 miles and that was on the road, but then I was young and stupid. I think the Demon has been replaced with the Sport Demon, I currently run BT45's om my FZ750 now and find them very good, but I'm older and maybe wiser (definitely slower).

• Member Contributer

Fit a set of CBR600F2/F3 wheels & run a 130/90-17 rear & a 110/80-17 front, I did that on my VF500 back in the day, worked great & kept the ride height balanced front to rear.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Fit a set of CBR600F2/F3 wheels & run a 130/90-17 rear & a 110/80-17 front, I did that on my VF500 back in the day, worked great & kept the ride height balanced front to rear.

A 130 on a 4.5 or 5.0 inch rim?  Why?  I don't think you could even get it to bead up and inflate.  Are you sure you're not talking about 1987-1990 CBR600F rims?  Cuz the tire sizes you mention are appropriate for those rims,

• Member Contributer

It was a long time ago, the 3 spoke wheels were S spoke shape. So maybe F1 CBR. But others fitted F2/F3 wheels.

Archived