Sidetand bolt that is common to get loose

VFR80025th

Hi, just wanted to find out is the bolt that goes loose and pops out causing bike to fall or lean lower when stand is extended.

Is it  #13 on the parts schematic I have attached. 

Is that the bolt that tends to loosen.

The 2 pics attached have me confused one looks like it screws in from the outside.

The other pic looks to me like it screws in from behind with a nut on the stand side.

Can someone clarify this for me. 13 is the offending bolt is it not.

Thxs

Sidestand parts pic Capture.JPG

08082008040_bolt.jpg

99e3beb3a021163931e27c17f85aaa6a.jpg

Yes that is the bolt that goes missing.   The other half that you don't see <F-25> shows up on the shock mount diagram.  It is an Acorn Nut (#13) that screws on to long-ass-bolt (#9) that comes through the frame and gets clamped by (#18).   #14 is the sidestand pivot nut.

image.thumb.png.8c719ed24f7afa8062d1b7fc17998b03.png

Lock wire is the only reliable way I could get mine to stay put.  Just cross drill the bolt and corner drill the nut.   Both red and blue Loctite degraded over time from heat and I would lose the bolt. (twice until I drilled and lockwired)

20170717_213312_resized.jpg

In this photo, mine is a hex head as I lost my bolt (third time including the original) 400 miles from home and a small town hardware store was my only option to get the right thread in the length I needed.   Installed with borrowed tools, got home, drilled, wired, still there to this day.

9 hours ago, carlgustav said:

Crap, this is common!?  12 yrs and I've not paid attention to this bolt.  Guess I better take a look :biggrin:.

If it has went missing, you'll know.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look last nite, all is good, everything tight.  Had to clean off years of accumulated crud, maybe that's what's been holding things together, and now I'm f*cked :biggrin: ...

ACE

Archived