hey 4th gen owners...how well do you know your carbs etc?

Thought one of you fellow 4th gen owners might be able to help me out with this. Long story short: Clogged pilot jet (I thought). Took it apart, found no clogging, but gained a spring in the re-assembly. Love to hear your thoughts!

• Member Contributer

how big is the spring? Hard to tell from picture.  If it is small may go on one of the pilot screws. 

• Member Contributer

If you have not downloaded the shop manual, do that and look at the carb diagram or go to an online shop and look at the exploded parts diagram. It does not look familiar to me, but it has been many years since I had mine apart.  On the poor idle, you will have to get a section of thin wire and clean out the idle passage, I had to do this on all four of my carbs, but it sat a few years.  Slow process of poking the wire in then spray carb cleaner in the passage, then wire, then carb cleaner, etc.

Boom! Found out where it went from another member who found a foto of the carbs. I knew it had to be held in by tension somewhere, and that's exactly how it's held. #10 and #12 on the parts fiche showed two springs but did not show where they were connected. Thanks for the help, gang!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, WGREGT said:

Boom! Found out where it went from another member who found a foto of the carbs. I knew it had to be held in by tension somewhere, and that's exactly how it's held. #10 and #12 on the parts fiche showed two springs but did not show where they were connected. Thanks for the help, gang!

it's held in by compression forces, not tension.  i've done a few gen4 carb rebuilds and must say they're the easiest of all vf/vfR carbs to work with and built to a slightly higher standard than the rest, easiest to remove and replace as well.

samw is right, you need more than carb spray and compressed air to clean a clogged idle jet; a .010'' steel wire poked through is the only guarantee the jet hole is fully open. cheap to replace if necessary.

Archived