VFR1200 '10 poor performance at low RPM (below 4k)

Cossacs

Hey guys, I am relatively inexperienced VFR1200 owner and i am concerned about how my VFR1200 engine works below 4-4.5k rpm.

It feels like 125cc below 4-4.5k RPM and fully powered bike after 4.5krpm

Acceleration which starts in range 2000-3000rpm using 10%-30% throttle is terrific until it hits 4-4.5k rpm. Cruising in 3-3.5k at 60mph with VERY slow throttle movements is nightmare - i should shift from 4th to 6th gear and back trying to avoid rough engine sounds on every slight climb.

No problem at all with engine RPM above 4.5k.

I own CB1000'12 and CBR1000RR '07 with absolutely smooth response in this RPM range. Also i compared my VFR cruising/acceleration with 03-04 ZX636, '03 Katana 750F - smooth and linear throttle response from idle to high RPM with every bike except my VFR.

Some tech info

This bike was bought with 36k km (22k miles) ODO with unknown service history.

Bike configuration: European, full stock, OEM slipon, no EVAP system with no throttle body holes for EVAP hosing.

Both lambda sensors on their places.

Smooth idle (~1300 rpm), fast engine start, radiator fans works as expected, normal engine operation temperature.

No suspicious engine sounds

No DLC errors

Replaced spark plugs, air filter, cleaned and checked fuel injectors

Checked MAP and IAT sensors standalone - ok.

Is it something wrong with my bike or this is whole VFR1200 '10 model problem?

Has anyone encountered such a problem and fixed it?

Does it do this only in 1st and 2nd gear?  If so, it's Honda's 'Poor man traction control'.  To fix that, you will either need a Bazzaz or ECU flash.

If you feel this in all gears, look into a valve adjustment.  Mine did this and a valve adjustment fixed her right up.

3 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Does it do this only in 1st and 2nd gear?  If so, it's Honda's 'Poor man traction control'.  To fix that, you will either need a Bazzaz or ECU flash.

If you feel this in all gears, look into a valve adjustment.  Mine did this and a valve adjustment fixed her right up.

I have this problem in all gears, not only in 1st and 2nd gear.

Did I understand correctly that you had the same problem with similar symptoms and valve adjustment fixed it?

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Yes.  My VFR1200 felt like it would bog until about 5k RPMS at which point it would really get up and go.  It wasn't always consistent but once I did a valve adjustment, the issue went away.

• Member Contributer

How far out of spec were your valves?

Just curious. On a lot of bikes valve clearance isn't a very dramatic performance change. Obviously for some bikes, valves affect performance more than others.

• Member Contributer

Been meaning to mention what might be the same thing. First time I ever rode the bike on the highway when I tried to accelerate from about 60 mph it felt like it was bogging out. Pulled over assuming I was running out of gas. Prior owner says the Z bomb is installed but this happens in gears other than 1st and 2nd. So yes, when cruising on surface streets at about 3k and slightly above at say 45 to 50 mph, it feels like a flat spot, like a delay until it starts to pick up. Perhaps like cylinder deactivation that takes too long to wake up. No, I'm not suggesting it has that.

Prior owner is a maintenance OCD kind of guy so everything has been done so far. At 22k miles now. Bike otherwise runs amazing and pulls very hard to redline.

Wow, just saw we're at the same miles. I've had my bike for about 2 months.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Archived