1986 VFR700FII refresh

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Picking up where this left off:

Happy Birthday to Me!

Quick mock up of the bodywork after getting the 17" wheels installed and bleeding the rebuilt brakes front and rear.
[IMG]

1988 VFR rear wheel and 1987 CBR600F front. Bolt on. Low mile 1987 VFR shock (10mm longer than 86) to make up the difference in the rear ride height. Forks are slid up an extra 20mm to compensate for the taller front wheel. I had a measurement point off of the frame to compare front height before and after. It is now a little under 10mm lower in front than before, just what I wanted. 140/70-17 and 110/80-17, nothing super trick, just a small period correct update and a little bling factor.
[IMG]

Already wired in a parallel toggle for the fuel cut relay. Still need to wire in a fan switch. Needs the new grips installed. I re-enforced the tail section at the known weak points as well as the seat cowl. And re-repaired a small crack right behind the lower right fairing mount.

Carbs are also completely rebuilt including fuel and vent o-rings.  All of the coolant o-rings in the V of the motor are replaced.   Almost ready for some more action.

Wow that looks good. Love how you kept the 3 spoke looks of it. How are the widths of those wheels vs doing the conversion work to the f3 wheels?

Would love to see pics of where you reinforced the tail section. I could do that to mine while it's out. I used plastic epoxy stuff smeared all over the back of my panels wherever i saw cracks as a precaution, but i'm sure your job is much cleaner and more specific to where the risky areas actually are.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, atx said:

Wow that looks good. Love how you kept the 3 spoke looks of it. How are the widths of those wheels vs doing the conversion work to the f3 wheels?

Would love to see pics of where you reinforced the tail section. I could do that to mine while it's out. I used plastic epoxy stuff smeared all over the back of my panels wherever i saw cracks as a precaution, but i'm sure your job is much cleaner and more specific to where the risky areas actually are.

Not even close to F2/F3 widths.  These are 3.5 and 2.5.  Like I said, nothing super trick.  It needed tires anyway so I thought why not do something a little different in 17s and still keep the original spirit of the bike.  It's what I wish came on the VFRs in the first place (and what they put on in 1988).  BUT, there is absolutely nothing really wrong with a stock 86 VFR on decent rubber.

Later I'll show you my pattern I made based on seeing many VFR tail sections.  I cut it out of textured ABS, formed it to match the curving and pressed into place with some 2 part plastic welding epoxy.  On this bike it was preventative (unbelievably), but I've repaired/saved 3 others now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Out in the sun on the first ride.  Feels great and is running strong and perfect after the carb rebuild.  Still needs a good bath, polish and wax.

full?d=1556152022

Archived