4 Gen Electric Issues

Tried before winter and back at it.

Not working

Speedo 

Side Stand

Oil

Fuel Gauge  

Originally thought it was just the speed sensor that went out. Speedo was acting up right before it failed.

Got back up sensor- no change

I had made repairs to the printed circuit board a few years back and assumed i would find problem there. Replaced whole instrument cluster - same results.

Checked at speed sensor. I do not get voltage when checking at sensor side of connector with ignition on.

FSM says check for voltage between black and green terminals at sensor side of speed sensor. - No voltage

Continually test between sensors 3P to 10p at instrument panel connector. I get a signal for all 3 wires.

I will try same test tomorrow with kick stand and fuel sensor.

How many grounds does bike have? I found 2. The battery and frame at right side in front of battery. Cleaned both well but can see this wasn't a problem.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update from April

Speedo went out as mentioned previously.

Fuses good

Tested sensor with sensor plugged into connector at harness (back probed)-getting 12v

Checked pink wire (signal wire to speedo) for continually - have continually at 10 pin connector and at speedo.

Checking sensor output. Unclear what voltage I should get when sensor hooked up to power and then sensor spun. Should I get 5V as magnet passes? Does it have a magnet?

I followed this video but not sure if this is the same with front sprocket to sensor setup.

Got 2nd hand sensor ebay. Same result- no speedo

Went back to original sensor and replaced plastic nut- Speedo worked for 10 miles, got gas then no more sensor. CRAZY.

I want to confirm the sensors are toast. Does anyone know what the resistance is for know good sensor?

Any help would be great.

Archived