Twice upon a caravan

Hey guys,

Been looking for this DVD for a while now: "twice upon a caravan". About a around the world ride on a Douglas in 1932. All leads point to the now defunct http://www.whitehorsegear.com/

He wrote a book as well and it's on Amazon but I can't find even a trace of the documentary. Looks really interesting. You can see a clip here: 

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/video/2012/aug/14/around-world-by-motorbike-1932-adventure-travel-video

If anyone has any info, much appreciated. Thanks 

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Like I said, I have no idea if it's legit, but the page before that Register link showed "Twice Upon a Caravan" movie to download.

Your guess is as good as mine.

• Member Contributer

Very cool video clip, bluegen1e. Thanks for sharing! 

I once met Austin Vince who runs the Adventure Travel Film Festival with his wife Lois. The film you want was played there. 

Austin Vince went around the world with a couple of buddies on Suzuki DRZ400s many years ago and they wrote a book called Mondo Enduro about it. Fascinating stuff. 

In your clip I love the idea that a man rode all the way to Japan wearing shorts and long socks! He wore the colonial British helmet but only whilst off the bike - that ticked me! Austin Vince did his trip in a set of overalls (which he wears to his talks). 

Have we we become a bit too safety conscious since the 1930s? 

• Member Contributer

If you ever get the chance to have Austin Vince present his talk about their around the world trip “Mondo Enduro” then do it.

A friend organised him to do do it at his local village hall a few years back. And even if you don’t ride a bike it’s hilarious. It got funny at the beginning when he said “during the interval” when I had rocked up thinking it might be an hours chat. Turns out it was 2.5hrs with a break in the middle. But the most funny, side splitting presentation I have ever seen. I took my bro along with me & we could have done with a safety bowl in case we actually wet ourselves !!!! One of those experiences you will remember for life. 

They also made a film, then Austin, was the technical coordinator on the Ewan McGregor/Charlie Borman Long Way Round TV documentary. 

Enjoy.

thanks @FJ12Ryder but the registration link goes nowhere either. Through some good ol' fashioned searching, this time Yahoo, I came across this site:

https://stevenschoenberg.com/album/twice-upon-a-caravan/

Steven was the composer for the movie and I reached out to him. He put me in touch with the producer from Searchlight Films. contacted him and got a paypal request for $25 for a vimeo access. So waiting on the guy to now send me a link. Hoping this works out, I will update you guys.

Yeah it's pretty wild to see him ride across the globe in shorts lol 

• Member Contributer

I tried the registration link but it wanted a credit card number to start my "free trial". I gave it a pass, so I still don't know if it is legit.

I think it is, but no guarantee that they actually have the movie anyway.

But glad you found someone that can fix you up. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones help to locate this. I was able to get in touch with Rawn Fulton who is the producer from Searchlight Films. He gave me access to the Vimeo video for $25. 

For anyone interested this is his contact: Rawn Fulton (rfulton@searchlightfilms.com)

The movie was well worth the price, to see the world as he saw it pre WWII and untouched by modern technology along with his narration was fascinating. It's put together fantastically and the music composition is beautiful. The book just came in the mail as well. Super Happy!

Thanks again @FJ12Ryder

@Mohawk, @Stray Mondo Enduro is on my list as well. probably next 🍻

• Member Contributer

The short clip in the Guardian article was great! I'll have to add that to my list of MC films.

Thanks for the post.

Archived