'13 Lumpy Idle?

• Member Contributer

Hi folks,

Loving my ridiculously low mileage 2013 VFR12. Question:

It idles with a bit of nervousness, i.e. Reminiscent of my '70 LT-1 Z-28 from 42 years ago. I'm assuming this is the norm. How's yours?

DSCN0093[1].JPG

• Member Contributer

Those are gorgeous in black.

It's got a bit of a pulse at idle.  A bit like you appropriately noted on the chevy V8.  I'd say normal, without hearing it.

Now if you hear a clatter..... That's another story.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Yokel said:

Those are gorgeous in black.

It's got a bit of a pulse at idle.  A bit like you appropriately noted on the chevy V8.  I'd say normal, without hearing it.

Now if you hear a clatter..... That's another story.

No, no clatter at all. Certainly with all of the electronic watchdogging going on, there would be an illuminated CEL staring at me if something were amiss. I've not yet looked through the factory shop manual so I don't know if it's fitted with dual 02 sensors before/after the cats or just a single heated unit keeping it on its stoichiometric leash  but - yes, to reiterate... it does indeed have a bit of a lope to it.  Thank you for the affirmation.

J.S.

• Member Contributer

Mine idles smoothly.   Low mileage suggests it's sat around a bunch considering its a 6 year old bike.  May not be worst idea to run something like a couple of bottles of Techron through the bike. 

• Member Contributer

Interesting.......

2 with a lope and 1 without. The uneven idle seems to me, at least, to be more indicative of timing event overlap, particularly evident at low rotational speeds which, of course quickly diminishes with rev rise once the intake tract blowback window/threshold has been passed. Just like a relatively long duration camshaft application - which would not surprise me at all considering Honda engineering decided against employing its own V-tech system in this platform relying on sheer displacement to provide ample lower to mid r.p.m torque - allowing prodigious output at elevated speeds knowing full well 02 monitored cats will be scrubbing any associated high HC levels at an idle.

Also, though admittedly not familiar and being a neophyte on this machines ECM/Processing capabilities. Surely a fault or soft code generated by the 02 sensor(s) after repeatedly sniffing either side of lambda running issues would result in an illuminated CEL if a spray pattern or injector operation were compromised. Or so I surmise. I've erred before - this wouldn't be my last either.

I would be interested in knowing valve opening and closing events (particularly @ 1mm off of their respective seat)

Thank you swimmer. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well.

J.S.

• Member Contributer

Is there a youtube video that has a VFR 1200 with a noise similar to what you're experiencing?  I have a couple of 7th gen bikes and they sound a bit lumpy when cold but not much at all when started hot. 

Archived