Neo2122

Hello all!

Just wanted to share a quick appearance upgrade! 

My chain guard was becoming quite the eyesore so I decided to do something about it, With some Carbon Fiber 3M Vinyl Wrap and some chemical resistant gloss white engine enamel I was able to walk away with this gem!

IMG_20190302_114422550.thumb.jpg.c61072253b41976c57c1677dc67fcb82.jpg

It is important to note that I switched over from conventional chain lube that flings everywhere to Dupont Chain Saver Wax-Based Chain Lube based on multiple recommendations.

a7b873e8-658e-489a-bf83-98b78fee1e7d.jpg._CB288238288_.thumb.jpg.a8cb5856abf1b42566ed2aa298c387b8.jpg

And I gotta say that the stuff is pretty amazing! No mess, no hassle and great lubrication! It keeps my pretty white chain cover, well, pretty and white!😍

Anyways, enjoy!

IMG_20190302_114437786.thumb.jpg.e9bd9bd297ecdacbf4624587a642c334.jpgIMG_20190302_114506090.thumb.jpg.3fb881906620d83f9761a75beb3eeb45.jpgIMG_20190301_212857262.thumb.jpg.281e10423c6ac931325aa26c4b00c02e.jpgIMG_20190301_223445843.thumb.jpg.6e42ca609e0d0055c56aea08a4e3927e.jpgIMG_20190301_225839163.thumb.jpg.112729ab18952bebda1e7a4b8424b844.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks great.   Which vinyl did you choose?  I'd love to try it myself. Might be a fun little mod.

And where'd you get the stickers? I don't think the tire info is still available for the 5th gens.

That looks great.   Which vinyl did you choose?  I'd love to try it myself. Might be a fun little mod.

And where'd you get the stickers? I don't think the tire info is still available for the 5th gens.
I purchased the stickers from Partzilla.com and I bought the vinyl wrap on Amazon.com it's the "3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap, 1ft x 5ft"

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Have to admit that the white looks great, but only while it's clean. 🙂 Don't like the stickers at all.

Those are usually the first thing to go anything I own. Hate 'em. Be a super clean look without them.

I hope they've improved the wax chain lube. I tried some back before the turn of century and it was pretty crappy stuff.

Kept the back of the bike pretty clean, but did squat to actually lube the chain.

Have to admit that the white looks great, but only while it's clean. Don't like the stickers at all.
Those are usually the first thing to go anything I own. Hate 'em. Be a super clean look without them.

I hope they've improved the wax chain lube. I tried some back before the turn of century and it was pretty crappy stuff.
Kept the back of the bike pretty clean, but did squat to actually lube the chain.
I had a very similar experience with wax/Teflon chain lube a decade ago but apparently it's come A LONG way haha, after being heavily persuaded by a lot of other experienced riders I gave this *very specific* Dupont Teflon Chain Saver a try and color me impressed it's awesome!! Just look up some reviews online as well! And so far the only mess on my chain guard is the occasional brake dust, dirt, and water, easy to clean tho!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Wax isn't for lube. It's just anti corrosion or... I don't know what else. It's an outside coat, whatever it's supposed to do. But the lubrication on a chain is inside the seals, not sprayed on the outside.

That said, I tried wax again when I got my new chain. Different brand than what's shown here -- Maxima I think. Not impressed. I think it's just more shit to clean off the chain when I clean the chain.

Maybe the Dupont stuff is better.

4 hours ago, Neo2122 said:

give partzilla, bikebandit, and other similar online OEM part dealers a try to find the stickers!

Yeah, they are out of stock for 5G.   Not that it matters -- I mostly like the carbon look. I just thought it fun that you made it look stock over the carbon coat!

I'm a big fan of mods that look so good that they look almost OEM at first glance but then upon closer inspection you realize it's aftermarket!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, mello dude said:

Guess I'm stuck, No wax chain lube stuff for me... 

Take my comments with a grain of salt.

I ride in Southern California, without rain, mud, or commuting stresses.  I'd think the extra protection on a dirt bike might be welcome. Or if you commute or ride where you will encounter water.  So I'm a very small sample size, having tried one wax. There might be a benefit to keeping the X or O ring supple if you're a lot harder on the chain than I am.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

Take my comments with a grain of salt.

I ride in Southern California, without rain, mud, or commuting stresses.  I'd think the extra protection on a dirt bike might be welcome. Or if you commute or ride where you will encounter water.  So I'm a very small sample size, having tried one wax. There might be a benefit to keeping the X or O ring supple if you're a lot harder on the chain than I am.

Its just history of any wax product I tried, I hated, they were a sticky mess. There's plenty of alternate "dry" moly+teflon types. - I am a creature of habit. 

People always claim that the wax product doesn't "fling-off". 

While it is true that the wax chain product doesn't fling-off nearly as easily as something like PJ1 Blue, the wax chain product does have some fling-off.  You have not truly suffered until you've had to clean up a motorcycle that had a wax chain product used on it for several years.  Cleaning up normal (non-wax-based) lube fling-off is messy and tough, but cleaning off the wax chain product is a miserable experience.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

You have not truly suffered until you've had to clean up a motorcycle that had a wax chain product used on it for several years.  Cleaning up normal (non-wax-based) lube fling-off is messy and tough, but cleaning off the wax chain product is a miserable experience.

Ditto to that, brother... 😀

Hmmm fair enough, I'll keep an eye on it and see what I think of it over time. It is the Teflon stuff but all good points to consider. I used to have a similar opinion on wax based chain lube, but this stuff is supposed to be the real deal, tried and true, so I'm giving it a try, I'll keep y'all in the know if it ends up being a no go!

In the meantime the chain guard itself is still looking tip top!67b0b7f6b252e49f6fc88db1218e3693.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I did my chainguard. Here it is before I've trimmed the vinyl:

chainguard.jpg

Looks not good up close. From 3 feet away it looks fine.   Heh.

Thanks for the idea. It really does look cool for very little money.

Oh, the chain wax: 

Flinglessmyass.jpg

Yeah... flingless my ass. I think for me I'll be fine without it, though. No water or mud for me, and I keep shit clean, so screw having to clean this stuff up.

• Member Contributer
On 4/23/2019 at 4:43 AM, gig said:

Saw this also on another bike site.... should we start a new thread since I'm sure its like kicking a hornets nest? 

Archived