carb cleaning on the bike?

WGREGT

• Member Contributer

If you take a look at this picture, I think that #10 and #12 are between the throttle linkages.  I drew an arrow pointing to the one  on the right. The one on the left is hidden in this picture.

carbs.png

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The photo is on VFRD, but hard to find.  When I am searching for pictures on VFRD I use google and the site: option, like this:

site: www.vfrdiscussion.com       carb

Then pick images at the top of the page that google returns.

The site: option will just search the website that comes after 'site:'

• Thanks 1

Boom! That's it! Found out where it went, thanks to your foto, Cos. I knew it had to be held in by tension somewhere, and that's exactly how it's held. It does have a slight "bump" on the inside ends of those metal tabs in order to hold it in, but once I saw one side the spring and one did not, that was my clue. Thanks again. Now I can sleep at night!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Who's idea was it to put ethanol in gasoline anyway? Sta-Bil? That reminds me I need to take Grandma (1994) out for a good ride, and run the generator for an hour or so.

I had Sta-Bil in all my stuff too. A healthy amount. Like much more than it calls for, b/c hey, why not? More=better, and I really don't want to be going thru the carbs on 4 bikes.

And here I am, going thru the carbs on 4 bikes.

All of this could have easily been solved by me...riding. Not 400 mile trips. Just a ride to the store now and then. But, add in a rainy CA winter and next thing you know, I'm going thru carbs.

I got the 500 carb bank out earlier though already. Just need to get the bowl covers off tomorrow maybe sometime.

• 1 year later...

best way to avoid storage-related carb problems is to DRAIN the float bowls b4 storage and crank the engine over a few turns to suck fuel from idle jets. sta-bil does nothing to prevent clogging and may cause corrosion of carb alloy.

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/multimedia/videos/911066-fuel-storage-damages-aluminum#post911197

notice that your owners manual instructs that carbs should be drained for storage !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is just an FYI from Owner's Manuals for vacuum and gravity fed carbureted motorcycles I own regarding long term storage and carburetors - Winter Storage. You can take it for what it's worth or you can tear down your carbs after a winter storage. If I'm not gonna ride my bikes for several weeks I drain the carb bowls.

2015 Kawasaki KLR650KLR650OMCover.thumb.jpg.3bd6335a620b9595fc369477085297f5.jpg

KLR650OMStorgaePage.thumb.jpg.240d00f613a9144a043b9105597e372d.jpg

1989 Honda XL600V TRANSALP

XL600OMCover.thumb.jpg.973f40b59bc97109d468b0d1186a8bea.jpg

XL600OMStoragePage.thumb.jpg.ac881f84568cc1bdfad4004bde0f27c9.jpg

1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago

XV920OMCoverPage.thumb.jpg.76bc55c98fd5e57b195f7782e4787f5d.jpg

XV920OMStoragePage.thumb.jpg.6691d3c55404ac307f6c1e6a3ec0666c.jpg