Couldn't stay away...

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Hello again VFRD-ers

Well, I couldn't stay away.  I sold my 7th gen last year after a work layoff and relocation to Utah, and it's been eating me up inside not having a bike.  I was in Denver for work last weekend and wound up buying a brand-new-old 2015 deluxe in red.

I pick it up tomorrow sometime and cart it back to Utah.

I've already ordered a bunch of accessories, and am planning on really doing some work on it this summer in hopes of touring Arches, Moab, Zion, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier, and some other national parks.

First impressions versus the 7th gen...

1) Vtec isn't as bad as advertised, and frankly I found it a bit smexy.

2) Riding impression is remarkably similar.  Good power, though not as much of it obviously.  Ergonomics and seating is just right for me.  Suspension needs some work obviously, but mainly because I'm a tubby bucket-o-love.

3) Wind protection just isn't as good as the 7th gen.

4) Brakes are also nowhere near as good, but I'm not surprised by that either.  The 7th gen brakes are legendary.

5) The weight is WAY more manageable.  This thing is so much more maneuverable at lower speeds than the 7th gen was.

I think for my riding style, this 8th gen will be an absolute peach.  I'm really looking forward to throwing a bunch of miles on it.

I've ordered the panniers and a quick-shifter (rode a Yamaha Tracer GT when shopping and loved that feature), as well as a full tankslapper set of films, a SW Motech tank bag, shop manual and some other sundries.  Suspension will be done soon too, as I now know first-hand how big of a difference it can make.  A DAM exhaust is going to happen soon, but the checking account has bulemia currently, so I'm giving it a bit of a break.

Anything else you guys think is worth consideration?

• Member Contributer

Welcome back.   :beer:

I get your love for this bike; my 800X is the dog's danglies and I'm loving it more & more every time I ride it, even though it's only my commuter (100+ miles/day).

I'll never sell my 1200 though, until my riding days are over, one way or another. With the suspension sorted, it handles superbly and feels almost as 'light' as the 800 through the corners. And I never get tired of that rush when opening the throttle, especially at higher speeds when it seems it never wants to start ripping your arms out of their sockets. 😈

Good luck with the new bike, some pictures please when you get her!

• Member Contributer

I'm new to the 8G too. Coming from a 3G. Why I love my 3G, I'm really liking the Vtec. It's too soon for me to come to any conclusive decisions, but I think the Vtec might just be brilliant? The cost for valve jobs kind of sucks....might have to learn how to do the work myself? I wanted a 7G, but the cost was too much and I wanted a new 2012 Blue VFR1200F, not sure I was going to find one?

You have me curious on how different the 7G brakes are from the 8G?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, flya750 said:

Seriously better!

• Member Contributer
On 3/30/2019 at 5:31 PM, flya750 said:

Flya,

The 7th gen brakes were 6 pot calipers up front, and it was seriously like throwing an anchor off the back of the bike when you hammered them.  They could bring up your last meal, and the longer wheelbase helped with that.  The 8th gen brakes are good, it's just the 7th gen are absolutely stellar.

• Member Contributer

Weren't the 7G breaks computer balanced fly by wire stuff? 

The 8th gen has a good sized rotor and good calipers, but it's a similar ABS setup to 6th gen. I kind of wonder why, though maybe it's part of the weigh reduction, or they just didn't want to do too much R&D for a low volume sales bike.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MooseMoose said:

Weren't the 7G breaks computer balanced fly by wire stuff? 

Nope!  They were hydraulic... it was the throttle was went from handlebar cables to a sensor box.  "Throttle by wire" I think they called it.

• Member Contributer

Interesting.  Wikipedia says otherwise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VFR1200F

The VFR1200F incorporates the C-ABS combined braking system sourced from the CBR600RR and CBR1000RR sport bikes. C-ABS distributes the braking forces completely electronically sending information from the brake lever into a separate braking computer before the system applies hydraulic pressure to the brakes

Not the first time Wiki has been wrong on things, though.

I like the concept of the braking on the RRs though. This video talks about how their ABS is electronically controlled:

I like his voice. He's so relaxed about how the ABS works.

Anyway, that's why I thought it was the schmancy C-ABS system.  Still nice to have the larger rotors and good calipers, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Huh, perhaps I'm wrong.

Maybe there is a booster or something?  News to me if so, which would indicate that they work as intended!

Ha!

• Member Contributer

There is nothing in the service manual indicating any electronic involvement - not that I can see.  Agree on how good they are!

• Member Contributer

It is likely the previous version of the system, not the one the 1000RR is currently running.   None of the 1200 literature or reviews say it's the electronic one. Honda advertise it as the CBS -- not the C-ABS

It's Wikipedia. It's entirely possible for the wakipedia to be wrong, and I think that's the case here.

In their defense, a lot of articles I looked up  when I got fascinated with the braking systems use CBS and C-ABS interchangeably, Honda having not done a really good job of differentiating Combi-Brake system from Combined ABS.  A bunch of sites say VFR1200 has the same brakes as the 1000RR, but I trust Honda.   Honda does not. Cycle world does not either:

Six-piston calipers at the front and a two-piston caliper at the rear are part of the Combined-ABS braking system. These are effective and strong but feel and feedback stop short (ahem) of the best supersport setups. This is conventional ABS with cycling at the lever, etc., not the seamless supersport system applied to the CBR-RR line.

From https://www.cycleworld.com/2010/05/17/2010-honda-vfr1200f-road-test

And

3 hours ago, eastbowl2 said:

There is nothing in the service manual indicating any electronic involvement - not that I can see.  Agree on how good they are!

The maintenance manual says they're mechanical, not electronic.

Still find the systems fascinating. Even if they're not on the VFR.

Archived