Time to crank up the SuperCharger.

WackenSS

That piece looks like a sheared off drive dog. From the main or countershaft gears in your transmission. I’m used to seeing surface wear on these and issues with shifting into certain gears and getting good engagement. Having a broken off piece is something else. Do let us know…

47 minutes ago, omgvfr said:

That piece looks like a sheared off drive dog. From the main or countershaft gears in your transmission. I’m used to seeing surface wear on these and issues with shifting into certain gears and getting good engagement. Having a broken off piece is something else. Do let us know…

It's not disassembled yet but it's been diagnosed as one of the dogs on any of the gears.

I'll tell the story when it's in pieces as I hope it will tell me the story on wtf has happened. 

As of now it utterly mindboggling as nothing is out of order and transmission is working fine. It was found in the sump after I heard a noise dangerously close to big end rod bearing knock...

Exciting times ahead 😬

• Member Contributer

Yes those are gear dogs likely off of 6th gear as those engage 3rd. I found 3 of them in the sump of my '98 after losing 3rd completely. Lucky they didn't get jammed in the trans gears.

IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Those 3rd gear engagement dogs on the 6th gear flange for the shift fork are the weak link in the 5th gen trans. Been there done that. Everything else in there looked good so I buttoned it back up only to discover later that I likely had cracked heads as it was losing coolant, but no leaks. The bike has since been retired to parts. It was a good 80K. RIP.

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_4959.jpeg

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, MBrane said:

Yes those are gear dogs likely off of 6th gear as those engage 3rd. I found 3 of them in the sump of my '98 after losing 3rd completely. Lucky they didn't get jammed in the trans gears.

IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

Looks like rapid unplanned disassembly to me. 

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Terry said:

Looks like rapid unplanned disassembly to me. 

Was on a big group ride on some awesome roads, and suddenly there was no 3rd on a downshift. The bike did fine for the rest of the ride other than having to go from 2nd to 4th.

Dodged a bullet.

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer

I'm amazed at the engineering of this project, kudos to the OP. But with all the added hp of a Supercharger surely wouldn't every component within the engine, pistons, crank, transmission, clutch etc potentially be stressed beyond its design capability? Just wondering!

2 hours ago, Grum said:

I'm amazed at the engineering of this project, kudos to the OP. But with all the added hp of a Supercharger surely wouldn't every component within the engine, pistons, crank, transmission, clutch etc potentially be stressed beyond its design capability? Just wondering!

Yes most definitely! However the vfr is known for its over engineered everything - but doubling its power will expose  every weak link. I'm not worried, its probably one of the most sold bike in its era so plenty of spares to be found.

• Member Contributer

The RC46 crank case & major assemblies are taken directly from the RC45 which in final race trim was putting out 195rwhp @ 14K/rpm. The only major parts difference was the pistons & Ti conrods & the crank+cams being timed differently.
The big bang RC45 crank is timed at 0 degrees, such that it acts like a pair of V-twins joined together. And the 2mm shorter stroke allowed for the higher race RPM. That setup creates huge loads, the VFR's 180 degree crank is much kinder to the cases & bearings. 

Due to the total lack of RC45 crank case spares, race teams use 5th gen crank cases with the swingarm pivot ground off. They then bolt straight in to RC45 frame and all RC45 innards just drop in. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mohawk said:

The RC46 crank case & major assemblies are taken directly from the RC45 which in final race trim was putting out 195rwhp @ 14K/rpm. The only major parts difference was the pistons & Ti conrods & the crank+cams being timed differently.
The big bang RC45 crank is timed at 0 degrees, such that it acts like a pair of V-twins joined together. And the 2mm shorter stroke allowed for the higher race RPM. That setup creates huge loads, the VFR's 180 degree crank is much kinder to the cases & bearings. 

Due to the total lack of RC45 crank case spares, race teams use 5th gen crank cases with the swingarm pivot ground off. They then bolt straight in to RC45 frame and all RC45 innards just drop in. 

Just love your History lessons Mohawk. Valuable info ❤️

Would you happen to know how the gears are designed? I know from somewhere the rc45 atleast was undercut. 

Ratio closer to the 5th gen than the 6th/8th gen?

I'm kind of flabbergasted to hear multiple stories about the transmission issues here. Im sure theese are Na bikes yes?

I have absolutely abused my bike for 30k km with 100% power increase in mind just making Shure of proper shifts before wot. Absolutely no hickups before and now that I'm building a map slowly I have transmission parts in my sump. Can't wait to see this with my own eyes!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well stock RC45 gears were used by non factory teams as normal with chain sprocket ratio changes only. Factory teams would have specific ratio boxes made to assist if WSBK rules allowed for that back in the day. But AFAIK they never had a cassette gearbox, so would have had to strip engine to change ratios !? Either way the boxes are strong. Stories of damaged gearboxes on  RC46 VFR's are rare. 

We have all wondered how a vfr engine with forced induction takes this abuse right? Well at least I have! So to all those who have told me over the years that this is not going to last, the vfr can not handle this - you are wrong!

No measurements have been done, I have just glanced over everything - season has started. This engine will be shelved waiting parts and getting ready for the next stage. A 17000km engine will be put in it's place.

I don't have more time this week to tell the story but it will come 🙂

Have a good one guys - ride hard but mind your 3rd gear 😅

Screenshot_20240420_110005_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110015_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110036_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110052_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110115_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110130_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110141_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110155_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_110207_Photos.jpg