Time to crank up the SuperCharger.

WackenSS

After many years of hibernation it's time to take my SuperCharger to the next level.

In a matter of weeks I will receive 3 O2 bungs attached to a header! Thank you so much to the guys responsible for all your hard work making this becoming reality!

I'm going for 2 widebands, one for front and one for rear cylinders.

This is where rapidbike comes in to play.

So some questions to the expert rapidbike guys in her:

Firstly, I'm now running a custom tune pc3.

I don't know yet what file format rapidbike uses, but is there anyway of using my pc3 file on RB?

I'm taking it for granted, if possible to convert, that mytuningbike will be able to make the tweaks necessary without the need for Dyno with the base pc3 file?

If this is a no, will it be able to correct a stock 5th gen RB file to a safe file?

With no detonation detection, other than by ear, how can one make sure this never happens without a Dyno? I'm not even sure it's audible under any of these circumstances... Is it?

We have 98 octane RON with no ethanol available, but also available with 5% ethanol.

Is there a flex-fuel sniffer available for the rapidbike?

Does rapidbike have a MAP sensor option?

Does rapidbike have an IAT sensor option?

I don't yet know if there is another 20hp left in my stock injectors, but this will be apparent after trying.

I know that the 6th gen revs a little higher, and again I am guessing that rods/piston are identical to the 5th gen, but for now, and for comparison before/after header/rapidbike and fear of maxing injectors, I'm going to leave as is for now.

My goal is 210chp, with stock brakes and suspension just to get some excitement back in riding my bike

• Member Contributer

Wakken,

The man to talk to about Rapid Bike is CandeyRedRC46, he seems to be the one most knowledgeable on it's capabilities. The other person to speak to would be Yaman Turan at Rapid Bike, he was very helpful when I spoke with him when I was looking into the RB. He responds to the general email mailbox: info@rapidbike.us

• Like 1

Wakken,

The man to talk to about Rapid Bike is CandeyRedRC46, he seems to be the one most knowledgeable on it's capabilities. The other person to speak to would be Yaman Turan at Rapid Bike, he was very helpful when I spoke with him when I was looking into the RB. He responds to the general email mailbox: info@rapidbike.us
Let's hope Jo sees this post then

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, WackenSS said:

After many years of hibernation it's time to take my SuperCharger to the next level.

In a matter of weeks I will receive 3 O2 bungs attached to a header! Thank you so much to the guys responsible for all your hard work making this becoming reality!

I'm going for 2 widebands, one for front and one for rear cylinders.

This is where rapidbike comes in to play.

So some questions to the expert rapidbike guys in her:

Firstly, I'm now running a custom tune pc3.

I don't know yet what file format rapidbike uses, but is there anyway of using my pc3 file on RB?

I'm taking it for granted, if possible to convert, that mytuningbike will be able to make the tweaks necessary without the need for Dyno with the base pc3 file?

If this is a no, will it be able to correct a stock 5th gen RB file to a safe file?

With no detonation detection, other than by ear, how can one make sure this never happens without a Dyno? I'm not even sure it's audible under any of these circumstances... Is it?

We have 98 octane RON with no ethanol available, but also available with 5% ethanol.

Is there a flex-fuel sniffer available for the rapidbike?

Does rapidbike have a MAP sensor option?

Does rapidbike have an IAT sensor option?

I don't yet know if there is another 20hp left in my stock injectors, but this will be apparent after trying.

I know that the 6th gen revs a little higher, and again I am guessing that rods/piston are identical to the 5th gen, but for now, and for comparison before/after header/rapidbike and fear of maxing injectors, I'm going to leave as is for now.

My goal is 210chp, with stock brakes and suspension just to get some excitement back in riding my bike emoji848.pngemoji12.png

Check in with CornerCarver - he's got his Toro bike tuned using a Rapid Bike setup.   He's got it dialed in - definitely knows what's what with 6th gen forced induction.

Check in with CornerCarver - he's got his Toro bike tuned using a Rapid Bike setup.   He's got it dialed in - definitely knows what's what with 6th gen forced induction.

I'm 5th gen, but I'm sure the difference is minor and with mytunig bike module should be easy enough to translate.

• 1 month later...

A small update.

Headers showed up one week ago, so
i'm starting my rapidbike research based on the somewhat limited knowledge the Norwegian distributor has. RapidBike is pretty new to all of us, besides one crf1000 africa-twin install with amazing results in driveability!

We discussed the possibility of adding sensors on the rapidbike race module as it seems that the race ECU has the same hardware across all bikes and should be able to handle a better MAP sensor solution than the OEM one. If it's even needed.

They will forward our thoughts to Italy where the experience is at to get definitive answers.

I'm not deep in the sensor set up yet, but I know that the OEM ECU triggers FI light when pressure is detected. This issue was "solved" by inserting a restrictor inside the hose and reversing the one-way valve to let positive pressure escape. This is based upon memory of conversations I had with Dan upon initial installation wich is light-years ago...

Regarding the file system conversion question, it seems to be a definite no-go.

I think my solution will be to print the blocks from the PC3 map and see where and how much is added, and plot it into the RB.
Mytuning module will correct this while im driving on the safe side of detonation, and I'll alter the numbers based on the wideband sensors from time to time to get closer to a base map.

As for the flex fuel, Wich I forgot to talk about, I'm was thinking about the haltec sensor wich elegantly sniffs out what ethanol quantity is present. So there is my answer, it is not able to detect what octane I am running, just how much ethanol is in my fuel.
Our 95 octane Ron fuel has 5% ethanol, and our 98 has nothing.

Been running 95 since day one, except when on Dyno, and with stock ignition advance thus has been hassle free even with insane ambient temperatures.
I'm not going to change the pressure as of now, so I'm going to stick with 95 fuel untill I start playing with advance or going for higher pressure.

That's my thoughts as of now.

a3a045266f530daddaade5ccb94a2adc.jpg

• Member Contributer

What is it you need to know about RBR ? I have it setup on my 5th gen with MTB & 120hp normally aspirated.

As an FYI, I just changed the throttle bodies to a spare set of 99 ones with a choke lever as the wax unit on my original Y2K set has always shut off to early around 45c & the bike stalls on cool days.  

I’ve taper bored the entry to the TB’s up from 40mm with a step near the throttle plate where the stock intake trumpets rest, to 42mm with no step. I also fitted a set of cleaned secondhand CBR929 4-hole injectors which are almost a straight swap.

Then I started it up, idled it to operating temperature & balanced the starter valves & adjusted the idle speed. Took it for a test run & there were various places it was rubbish & stumbling, slow accelerating etc, the more I rode it the better it got. Now after 45 miles it was almost back to how it was before. I stopped after 20miles & accepted the trims in base map & again at 45 miles. 

It was quite lean between 2000-7000rpm. Now its great again. It will need  my new big airbox to complete it, as it’s running the previous 40mm entry dual stack version. But I’ll get round to that later.

One thing I noticed is with the max/min trim level set to 15%, the MTB adjusts fuel as required for your set point now, where as before it was a max/min deflection number I.e. +15-15 in the table. This is better as it quickly brings the fuelling to a good AFR.

Re your turbo version. If you need higher CC injectors, then the early Suzuki Hayabusa used the same injectors as did Honda Civic & CRV. There are some high quality 12-hole increased CC direct replacement injectors available for the Hayabusa.

The RBR supports up to 4 MTB’s and CR46 has that setup on his. The newer version support the Bosch 4,9 wideband sensor which is a big step up from the old 4.2 that I’m using, it’s more stable & much quicker to react & last longer. Depending on your budget & how much spannering you want to do you can you can do a couple of things. 1. Buy four & let it all be fully automated. Or 2. Buy one & add 5 tap points to the exhaust. Then use the 5th point in the collector to average all 4 cylinders & save that map. Then move the sensor to each header individually & check/tune each cylinder & save each cylinders map. When all 4 are done compare them if there is no major difference then you can just use the 5th point single map. But if there are large enough variations then switch to 1 map per cylinder & manually add the base maps you previously saved. The MTB would now be redundant, but if there were variations in injector flow, you could always match those injectors in the throttle bodies. As in the two richest ones in cyl 1+3 & the leanest ones in 2+4, remember the ECU map will be richer on the rears by default. 

As always YMMV 

• 1 year later...

That is a great write-up Mr Mohawk!

Sorry for the pause, this is still something that is going to happen!

I'm now in dialog with the distributor which has to contact the manufacturer. This has been in hold for a while now due to covid and me slacking

So, getting back on track I've asked dimsport to answer if the RB module is capable of more sensors, expecting some more info on this next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an answer I never suspected! copy/paste via our distributor:

Unfortunately it is not possible attaching other sensor to Rapid Bike (except for the wideband Lambda of My Tuning Bike).

But maybe it will be interesting for that customer knowing that he could connect the Rapid Bike harness to the air pressure sensor of the compressor instead of the throttle position sensor! In that way he can make the Rapid Bike map working according to RPM and boost pressure.

Other people already did this successfully. Main obstacle for VFR 800 application is that the wire for TPS sensor is into a big 10-ways plug (instead of being a free wire like on most of the other wirings), so he would have to modify the wiring harness to perform that connection successfully. If he wanted to proceed let me know so I can provide more details!

I don't have a MAP sensor on the rotrex, but I guess that would be esy to add another. I suspect the oem sensor is low pressure only.

Anyone heard of this?

I have been looking over the standalone options in Google and can't see what options are better than the dimsport unit so I ordered today. Should be in my hands 10 days from now.

Dan once told me that the s2000 injectors are a drop in and 390cc, plentyful for my current goal and then some!
what needs to be modified on the gsxr ones? Do you have Part number?

Seems like the s2000 injectors share design with the CR-V. Need to pull out my spare vfr injectors and find the specs on the keihin units from the options available from the fourwheelers.

A set of 06164-pca-000 (CR-V) cost around 200 USD new as far as I can tell, but im sure they are lower in CC than the s2000 ones.

I really need to start looking at numbers again, way to much has been overwritten on the HDD between my shoulders...

What is it you need to know about RBR ? I have it setup on my 5th gen with MTB & 120hp normally aspirated.

As an FYI, I just changed the throttle bodies to a spare set of 99 ones with a choke lever as the wax unit on my original Y2K set has always shut off to early around 45c & the bike stalls on cool days.  

I’ve taper bored the entry to the TB’s up from 40mm with a step near the throttle plate where the stock intake trumpets rest, to 42mm with no step. I also fitted a set of cleaned secondhand CBR929 4-hole injectors which are almost a straight swap.

Then I started it up, idled it to operating temperature & balanced the starter valves & adjusted the idle speed. Took it for a test run & there were various places it was rubbish & stumbling, slow accelerating etc, the more I rode it the better it got. Now after 45 miles it was almost back to how it was before. I stopped after 20miles & accepted the trims in base map & again at 45 miles. 
It was quite lean between 2000-7000rpm. Now its great again. It will need  my new big airbox to complete it, as it’s running the previous 40mm entry dual stack version. But I’ll get round to that later.

One thing I noticed is with the max/min trim level set to 15%, the MTB adjusts fuel as required for your set point now, where as before it was a max/min deflection number I.e. +15-15 in the table. This is better as it quickly brings the fuelling to a good AFR.

Re your turbo version. If you need higher CC injectors, then the early Suzuki Hayabusa used the same injectors as did Honda Civic & CRV. There are some high quality 12-hole increased CC direct replacement injectors available for the Hayabusa.

The RBR supports up to 4 MTB’s and CR46 has that setup on his. The newer version support the Bosch 4,9 wideband sensor which is a big step up from the old 4.2 that I’m using, it’s more stable & much quicker to react & last longer. Depending on your budget & how much spannering you want to do you can you can do a couple of things. 1. Buy four & let it all be fully automated. Or 2. Buy one & add 5 tap points to the exhaust. Then use the 5th point in the collector to average all 4 cylinders & save that map. Then move the sensor to each header individually & check/tune each cylinder & save each cylinders map. When all 4 are done compare them if there is no major difference then you can just use the 5th point single map. But if there are large enough variations then switch to 1 map per cylinder & manually add the base maps you previously saved. The MTB would now be redundant, but if there were variations in injector flow, you could always match those injectors in the throttle bodies. As in the two richest ones in cyl 1+3 & the leanest ones in 2+4, remember the ECU map will be richer on the rears by default. 

As always YMMV 
So that's that then...
84ef922f5d965d1879dd315bf7fc1e90.jpg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, squirrelbrains said:

your clutch won't hold much additional power.

Raeva mi verker 

Well, it'll hold this much:

Torocharger-11-1-08.thumb.gif.fe45361859f8d6af2375272fd64bd50e.gif

How much more does he need?!?

(I'm missing my Yellow Peril,,,)

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, squirrelbrains said:

Raeva mi verker 

Stock, no - but the kit came with heavier clutch springs and the frictions and steels need to be in excellent condition.

• Member Contributer

Hey Wacken, the RBR uses a variable table like the PC. And it is a % +/- add/remove duty cycle system too, same as PC So you can pop any PC map into excel & then select what you want from the PC & drop into the RBR map for the same cells. 

Raeva mi verker 
Hvorfor har du vondt i ræva?

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, it's been holding up nicely for 30k km now, but it will let go at some point - roumors are that the 6th gen clutch can take serious abuse and are better than the 5th gen...
Will be taken care of if it is indeed an issue.

Hey Wacken, the RBR uses a variable table like the PC. And it is a % +/- add/remove duty cycle system too, same as PC So you can pop any PC map into excel & then select what you want from the PC & drop into the RBR map for the same cells. 

That's nice to hear! Just upgraded my laptop to one that can handle more than a calculator and will download the map and start looking through it this weekend

OK u have alot more heat 2 dissipate so overheating will be problem, innit ?  on a bike prone 2 run run hot alreadi ??
Well one should think so, but actually it is not a big deal with this Nordic climate.
Second year with the SS i rode it to Italy so I know what everyone is talking about for sure - almost 2 weeks of no boost and had to make a Heineken roadside cooling duct to keep it under 110° while cruising at 120km/h on the superstrada.

In top of that, the loctite on the rotrex pulley gave in due to heat causing catastrophic failure to the splines. Had to go home with the belt in the luggage and limp home keeping it under 5500rpm with PC disconnected and barely any throttle available. Just 2600km...

First fire up after parking in my garage at home 2 if my iridums gave in due to an AFR never seen in a vfr before

Well, it'll hold this much:

Torocharger-11-1-08.thumb.gif.fe45361859f8d6af2375272fd64bd50e.gif

How much more does he need?!?

(I'm missing my Yellow Peril,,,)

Ciao,

JZH
It was at 183hp/76nm in 2010.
Clutch has proven to be rock solid!

To be honest, I'm more worried about the transmission and the brakes...

Dimsport confirmed today that there is only fuelcut available for quick shift. That's no good...
They also confirmed that delivery will happen next week.

• Member Contributer

🤔 WiLD Headers o2 sensors are 1+2 (L) & 3+4(R), same with RB injection maps. so you may have to go Mohawk's route and add some more bungs and individually map with 1 or go all out with 4 wbs

With the laptop connected to the RB you can go into configuration of injection maps. im not sure if they can be changed to 1+3(B) & 2+4(F)