New East Coast Owner

Hello all! Figured I'd introduce myself. My name's Hunter and I am scheduled to purchase a 91 RC-36 I on Friday from an owner in Vermont. It only has 15k on it which really attracted me. It's black, not the most desirable color scheme, but it's what's on the inside that counts 🙂 Anything specific to these bikes I should make sure to check out when inspecting it?

Screenshot_2019-03-27-10-22-22.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not the stock color for that year, so inspect closely for crash damage.    Other than that, those models are pretty bullet proof.  Bring a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery terminals when running, should expect high 13s to mid 14s  at 4000 to 5000 rpm.  If low you can use as it a bargaining item.

• Member Contributer

This bike was originally red, you can see the black paint coming off on the left side of the tank and you can also spot the original red around/in the logos in the CL ad. My guess is that they painted up to the logos but not over for some reason (cheapness recommends it?). It's been for a sale on and off for most of a year (I've talked to the owner earlier this year). I was tempted to snag it cheap myself, good luck!

Those are not VT plates, fyi. Also, VT does not issue titles for vehicles over 15yrs old, this year the cutoff is 2004 and older, fwiw. 

Ah thanks for the insight! Didn't realize black wasn't an option. By the looks of it, the gold rims were only on the red edition? I'm not TOO worried about the paint, given it hasn't been seriously damaged by a crash. At this price point, I expect almost a beater bike, not a showroom one!  I'll post an update after Friday.

I also did some digging and found that plate to be the Arizona Veteran plate. Makes sense, as the bike came from Arizona, he sent me the PO's Arizona title. One less thing to worry about.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, 3rd gens were '90  red with white wheels, '91 red with gold wheels. '92 Black with silver wheels, '93 pearl white.

The one maintenance item on these is the electrical system. Some will melt down voltage regulators, so check that carefully. If you get it, count on doing the drill to upgrade that RR.   I put 90,000ish miles on a 91 and regulator and stator were the only things I had to do other than oil changes, chains, tires, etc.

Archived