Help - Intermittent running issue?

BelsDad

Hi all, I had an issue last week with the bike cutting out during running, pulled over and checked for oil loss etc, no obvious sign of a problem (electrics all working, clocks still on) fired the bike up and she ran as normal.

Went out to prep for a ride yesterday, bike cut out after starting (cold) then struggled to start and wouldn’t hold a steady idle without throttle input, even on starting ran like a bag of nails for a about 20 seconds, then fine again!

I’ve removed the battery (gel type 4 years old) and put on trickle charge (I don’t have a multi meter) to see if that helps, any other ideas what the problem could be?

Going to the south of France in 4 weeks so am now worried about a breakdown :(

Many thanks

Nick 🙁

44824B0E-5134-44FF-B4E6-DF67797A1C29.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

• Member Contributer

Also, any doubts about your battery, get it load tested. Then verify your charging system is working, you will need a voltmeter and make sure your battery voltage is around 13.5 to 14.5v with engine running.

Was your bike cranking over normally as you re started the bike? Sign of a dying battery is poor crank speed.

Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.

Other than the battery and charging system. Has your bike been in hibernation over winter? Could you have bad fuel or condensation in your tank? 

Great looking bike by the way - the Delkevic's look excellent.

Archived