Replace or paint?

Eric800

This is my first post so I apologize if it’s been discussed a milllion times.  I’ve gotten quotes for a painted OEM replacement lower cowl, (candy glory red) as well as a quote for repainting of the existing panel  from a body shop. The prices are similar, I’m wondering which way to go?  Would  the body shop do a better job of matching the existing  color? 

On my '08 6th Gen the quality of the OEM Honda painted parts is exceptionally good - the clear coat appears very heavy (haven't measured the actual depth) and is far harder and adheres better to the panels than my experience with repainted panels.  YMMV depending upon the body shop but if the price is within ~20% I agree with Sweeper, just go with new OEM panels as you know what you'll get.

• Member Contributer

Go to your local body shop, ask were they buy paint ,as you need a special color for a certain " out door art piece. "

ride your bike to the paint shop.. in my area its MID-ATLANTIC PAINT... the guy takes a pic of your paint with a special cam or has the color code..looks at your paint and may add or subtract from the blend to make the paint "aged " in color ..

thats how you get a perfect match.:fing02: 

THEY WILL PUT IT IN A SPRAY CAN!!! :cheerleader:

i got 2 cans of paint and a can of clear for under 50 bucks  !!!

the gastank in this pic was in a crash and needed to match to 25 year old paint..honda metallic coral reef blue.. dont ask why.. but you can see the paint is perfect match to the fender and frame covers..just needed buffing . 

honda%20600_zpsdnpuw5jw.jpg

honda%20600%201_zpsh8k7g8oe.jpg

Archived