Rapidbike users, what are you doing for ignition advance?

MooseMoose

• Member Contributer

I've been using a rapidbike for a while, but I'm not sold on the ignition maps downloaded from RB website.  I had some detonation the first map (for the 01) I tried, so I backed it off. Then I just zeroed everything and I think it's smoother than before, but that's only the butt dyno, so I can't prove it. I wasn't willing to try the 98 map as it's quite different in the midrange, and it was around 8000RPM that I was over advanced. That's too dangerous for my tastes. I'm tempted to just leave it all at 0, but thought I'd ask.

Does anyone use the ignition advance on a 5th gen? @Mohawk might be the most likely culprit to have actual data, but I don't think we're the only ones with an RB. Had anyone actually done this on a dyno and seen what the advance buys them?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, WackenSS said:

Nobody?

I think CandyRedRC46 is the only one I am aware of using ignition advance and that's on a 6 Gen.

• Member Contributer

From what I remember on one of the RB threads is that there wasn't much to be gained on the 5g with regards to ignition advance.

I'm sure the brains trust (CRRC46/Mohawk/highside) may chime in shortly as to why that may be.

• Member Contributer

6G seems to have something to gain. That much I've read.

I've been riding with ignition flat for a while now, and will probably continue to do so. I just thought I'd ask in case anyone had a compelling reason to do otherwise, like they'd actually tested on a dyno to see and had results.

• Member Contributer

Dimsport the makers provide ignition maps in their software for a standard bike, which they run on a dyno to generate. If you have modifications, then the supplied  map should work, but is not optimised for your setup. That said if you have not changed compression then not much to be gained from a specific ignition tune.

The 5th gen AFAIK runs more advance than the 6th gen as stock so can only add a max 3 degrees over stock in the lower to mid rpm area. The 6th gen was built to stricter emissions regs & the VTEC meant Honda softened the advance around switch rpm’s so they can run a max 6 degrees in certain rpm areas. Check with CandyRed if he still frequents here, as he has max advance on his 6th gen I believe. 

So so mine is max 3degrees. I’ll dig out my map & post it. But remember different cylinder filling, fuel etc & internal combustion area build up, will all have an impact. So there is no guarantee. I started with 5-6degrees one hi-octane fuel & still had preignition symptoms, bike won’t rev & that was on the stand ! So I tweaked the advance down until that was gone, then test rode it carefully & tweaked any areas that had the odd bobble under high load etc. Which got my current map. From dyno runs it does not gain much, so I don’t mess with it now. Maybe if I ever get round to building my big bore race e Maine I will 👍😀

As always YMMV

• Member Contributer

OK so this is what I'm currently running on regular pump gas, as backed it off when I stopped using preium gas.

image.thumb.png.eb9981f28d1819430cf2b3cfece04488.png

All zero higher up the RPM scale. I intend to experiment, but have not had the time.

YMMV, & you use any info I supply at your own risk.

Have fun.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Mohawk.

That's definitely a bit less than what comes in the downloaded maps. A lot closer to what I had before I just zeroed everything out. If you ever do experiment please share.

Basically, I switched map configurations to 10 column, lowered the max RPM so everything is more granular,   and just never entered new numbers after.  I may or may not get back to it after I swap headers for the new ones.

4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

YMMV

Literally and figuratively.

I appreciate your candor. I learn a lot from your experiments.

Archived