VFR Alternatives / Where to from here?

What does someone who has ridden VFR's, wants to buy a new VFR but it's no longer an option move to?

The Sprint and VFR appear to be the only two bikes in their class.  The next thing remotely close to them that I have been able to find appears to be the GSXS-1000F or Ninja 1000, of both which have very different handling characteristics and seating positions. Beginning with a lean angle that is almost half of what the VFR's is.

Have I missed some options along the lines? Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations of what one should consider when buying a new VFR is no longer an option?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
1 hour ago, adamv said:

What does someone who has ridden VFR's, wants to buy a new VFR but it's no longer an option move to?

The Sprint and VFR appear to be the only two bikes in their class.  The next thing remotely close to them that I have been able to find appears to be the GSXS-1000F or Ninja 1000, of both which have very different handling characteristics and seating positions. Beginning with a lean angle that is almost half of what the VFR's is.

Have I missed some options along the lines? Does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations of what one should consider when buying a new VFR is no longer an option?

Someone like that should buy my 2014 VFR with 13K miles on it and in perfect condition.  It is casually on the market.    

52 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

What about a very low mileage 2014-2016 VFR in excellent condition?

Interested in new at this stage, and are just wondering what options are closest to what I've previously experienced on a VFR.

• Member Contributer

FJ-09 will feel like a light version of the VFR...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, adamv said:

Interested in new at this stage, and are just wondering what options are closest to what I've previously experienced on a VFR.

Agree with sfdownhill. If you can't pick up an 8gen new that  some dealership might have, then keep your eyes open for a well cared for low k's second hand job. What else are you going to buy that has a beautiful V4? Huge improvements in the 8gen over the 6gen.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Doesn't look like we have much that comes close to the characteristics of the VFR.

While I like the V4, it's more the handling of the bike that I prefer. (Lean angle, cornering characteristics etc more than the engine type).

Looking through the suggestions on paper (mainly using cycle-ergo.com):

The FJ-09 is a very upright bike. I haven't ridden on one, but I have on a MT-09 and I think it's almost sitting straight up like you're on a tourer as opposed to leaning forward like you're on a sports-tourer.

The Ducati Supersports seems to have a lean angle similar to that of the CBR1000RR, etc - so seems to be more of a sports/race bike. Too forward for my aging body I'm afraid. (The VFR hit's the sweet spot).

The Motus seems to be a little closer in regards to lean angle (at least according to cycle-ergo.com). I haven't seen one before, but may have to check this out. Likewise with the Aprilia Tuono.

VTR??? They were discontinued before the VFR was weren't they?

The BMW R1200RS appears to have a little more uprtight position than the others. (Back at 19° but still might be worth checking out).

Thanks for the suggestions. From what I can tell, regardless of what bike I purchase, there's nothing out there that comes close to resembling the type of ride style that the VFR offered. (Except for other discontinued bikes such as the Sprint ST1050).

I guess scooters and Adventure Tourers are where much of the market focus is going these days which at least for me is a real pity.

• Member Contributer

The motorcycle in the link below is not brand spanking new, but with only 471 miles...

Depends on whether your priority is purchasing a motorcycle that rides a lot like a VFR, or trying out a brand new zero miles non-VFR motorcycle that exhibits similar behavior.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/6844800060.html

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, sfdownhill said:

The motorcycle in the link below is not brand spanking new, but with only 471 miles...

Depends on whether your priority is purchasing a motorcycle that rides a lot like a VFR, or trying out a brand new zero miles non-VFR motorcycle that exhibits similar behavior.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/6844800060.html

Nice bike but Dallas is a bloody long way from Victoria Australia! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Horizon motorcycles in Tasmania has a black vfr800fe with only 750klm on it, might be worth a look

• Member Contributer

Also several very low mileage on bike sales including one brand new 2017 model

1 hour ago, HispanicSlammer said:

I looked at these last week while in my local dealer. It's very close on mark for what my old body needs. The ergos of my cb500x and the power of the VFR. The build quality looks on par with current Honda offerings but not up to the quality of our VFR's. 

• Member Contributer

What exactly are you looking for?

Plenty of 8th gens should be available somewhere in a dealership.

CBR650F

Suzuki Katana

Triumph Speed Triple

MV Turismo Veloce

mv-agusta-turismo-veloce-lusso-scs.jpg?r

• Member Contributer
On 3/24/2019 at 5:33 PM, adamv said:

The BMW R1200RS appears to have a little more uprtight position than the others. (Back at 19° but still might be worth checking out).

I gave the R1200RS a test ride last year.  Really liked it, a lot.  Much like the VFR a comfy sport touring bike with the benefit of shaft drive, more HP and an equally interesting motor as well as a single-sided swingarm.  Like stated earlier, I liked it a lot until I rode the R1200R which is the roadster version of the same platform.  The R1200R just plain handled better in the turns.  The RS wasn't bad at all but it was noticeably different which is odd considering how similar the bikes are.  If you want the fairing and clip-ons then definitely check out the RS but take a quick test on the R as well.

Having said all that, BMW is updating all of it's 1200 series bikes and the new BMW R1250RS should be available this year.  Slightly more power, updated cosmetics and a sweet looking TFT display.

P90328665_highRes_bmw-r-1250-rs-sport-we

110618-2019-BMW-R1250RS-P90328667-highRe

You could also look at the BMW F800GT, there are rumors of it getting updated to an 850 soon as well.

Good luck with your search.

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2019 at 10:56 AM, Sweeper said:

I looked at these last week while in my local dealer. It's very close on mark for what my old body needs. The ergos of my cb500x and the power of the VFR. The build quality looks on par with current Honda offerings but not up to the quality of our VFR's. 

There's no reason one can't put a different set of bars on this bike to bring the ergos a bit more sport.  I don't think the rake and trail are an issue on this bike...it will handle.  IF it's the Ergos, hell we buy bar risers for VFRs...I own an XSR700 and it is a sit up and beg "standard" bike riding position.  I like to do trackdays and miss my SV650...so I put Woodcraft nock-off riser plate on mine...allows me to ride in a more agressive position and by flippinig the risers upside down, I can get a very aggressive position for trackdays. 

I think if yoiu look at some of the lower bar options for the FJ-09 you can solve some of your issues--also if you look at Woodcraft they may have a turnkey solution for the MT-09 whick may swap over to the FJ-09.  So you get the nice foot peg position, seat and sport-touring comfort with a nice 110HP triple stonking engine, upside down forks and amenities of a ST bike that you can modify the handle bar position to get your hands where you like for spirited riding.

Matt Roth

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have moved on to an air cooled Mulitstrada S model and am very happy. The bike really amazes me and really is better in every way except for maintenance and is fugly from the front but that is what keeps the cost down. Dependability so far has been great.

MULTISTRADA-1100-1100S-07-small sized.jpg

Archived