VFR Alternatives / Where to from here?

• Member Contributer
47 minutes ago, UFO said:

Adventure bikes (that will mostly never see a gravel driveway, let alone an off road environment) have been all the rage for a decade now. 😂

Surpased here by hipsters buying "bobbers" or "scramblers" and "look ma, I'm an idiot" buying (KTM) motards to wheelie around town.... :goofy:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you can still walk in a buy a 8th gen you need no alternative. I'm about to make a run to the store I'll be in the VFR (8th gen) gentile curves highway speeds. If I were going out to carve a canyon I'd take the S1000R and if I were taking a day long or longer trip I'd have to flip a coin. If the VFR wasn't available 6 weeks ago I may have had to sell the S1000R and get a Ducati Supersport. Thanks to Honda Selling 5 year old bikes for used bike price so I continue to have a choice between two awesome bikes.

• Member Contributer

I would have a BMW boxer of some model.  They have mountains of torque and are fun to ride.  They're at least as bullet proof as a VFR.  People bad mouth them because of stupid stereotyping.   Until one has owned one, they just don't know what they're talking about.  I wish I had another one in the garage right next to the VFR.  When I did, the VFR seemed quite a bit tamer. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Several have mentioned BMW S1000 machines, but not the bike that sent BMW down the dark side of the in-line 4, the RR. When I had my 6th gen, I loved it for all the reasons already stated. What I didn't like, was how heavy it was, especially in tackling curves, and its curious power curve. Excuse my digression, I'll get to the point soon. In 2009 I bought a new CBR600RR. Its ergos was slightly harsher than the VFR, and its 410 lbs wet made it nimble and very quick. Didn't inspire confidence at high lean angles. 7 years later, I was having a crisis with motorcycling. Mostly because my commute was stunningly boring. It was either go bleeding edge, or sell the CBR and save the insurance money. My local MC shop had a new red white & blue BMW S1000RR. And thanks to discounts and trade in, it was less than a new CBR 1 liter or 600cc. It has almost twice the HP as the '09 CBR 600. And only 40 lbs heavier than the 09. It pulls harder in 2nd than first, and thanks to a magnificent suspension always feels planted, including on rough pavement (and plenty of that in New Hampshire). And it has similar ergos to the CBR. Many a S1KRR rider tells tales of cross country rides. (Oh, after relocating to Colorado, I can absentmindedly  hit 100mph). So for me, the RR has replaced my VFR, and is my suggestion for the title of this thread.

• Member Contributer

I know it isn't really the fault of the company, and it isn't even the same part of the company, but I'm hard pressed to consider owning anything that says BMW on it simply because of the people that drive their cars (5 inches behind the person in front of them).

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Marvelicious said:

I know it isn't really the fault of the company, and it isn't even the same part of the company, but I'm hard pressed to consider owning anything that says BMW on it simply because of the people that drive their cars (5 inches behind the person in front of them).

Thank the Lord Audi don't make bikes! :wink:

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, gr8vfr said:

Well - They do have Ducati. 

And BMW have Mini, but it's not the same. :beer:

Granted I don't know anything about BMW bikes but they're never a consideration because I assume, like their cars, they're parts are expensive and it's a pain to work on. Any owners out there who do their own maintenance / repair who can confirm/refute?

• Member Contributer

Had a R1150RT in the garage for a few years. Great bike to ride other than the riding position (too upright for me), but couldn't wait to get rid of it after having half my tools out dealing with poorly engineered expensive parts. The rule here now is no Euro bikes.

• Member Contributer

I do have a friend who worked at a BMW (motorcycle) dealership for a while. I've never asked why, but he says he will absolutely never own one.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:04 AM, Calculon said:

This looks like such a great bike and don't forget if you're short on funds you can still get a Ninja 1000 and save about $6k.  While not the bleeding edge of the H2 it is still a bike that puts out 140 hp, comfy ergos, sophisticated electronics and the same sweet luggage system.

Are you talking about the ZX1000? If so - isn't there different ergonomics between the Ninja 1000 and the H2SX? I thought they were a very different bike, not just the weight/supercharger.

Unfortunately https://cycle-ergo.com/  doesn't show the H2SX, but from my understanding the H2SX would be close to the VFR's natural seating position where the Ninja 1000 is more upright. (About half the forward lean angle as that of the VFR)?

The H2 is so neat. Take away the supercharger (aka bring the price down to what I can afford, because the supercharger isn't really something I'd want - I'd probably lose my license 😉 ) and it'd be a serious contender. Not only with ergonomics, but it also has the centre stand as well - what would be a true VFR replacement in my books - albeit without having seen one yet.

The Ninja 1000 (ZX1000 I believe) was designed with almost the opposite in mind.

ie:

It's as though when Honda and Triumph said sports tourer they said let's take the following from each category:

Sports

Handling

Tourer

Centre Stand

A little more Weight (due to center stand)

Inbetween

Seating position / Ergonomics (Comfortable but sporty)

Whereas when they built the Ninja 1000 and Suzuki they did a negative image:

Sports:

Weight (Aka remove center stand)

Tourer

More upright seating position

Adjustable windshield.

It's almost as though the designers of the Kawa/Suzuki 'Sports Tourers' still wanted to mix sports and tourer together but did exactly the opposite of what the previous sport tourer engineers originally did.  (With the exception to the H2SX which seems to be more towards a pure/original 'sports tourer' in my books).

Although it seems many people who own the Ninja 1000 are ex-VFR riders and they love the 1000. The H2 definitely seems like a more natural progression though - I just can't afford the price tag. 😞

Still haven't committed yet. I've kinda been hanging out hoping that there'll be a rumour of a next Gen VFR model coming out or until I can save enough pennies for the H2SX. Somehow - I think that neither day may come yet.

I believe the ninja is the ex1000 and the other is the zx10r.

I had been thinking of the ninja 1000 but I do t like the upright posture. I wonder if lower clipons would help

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, adamv said:

Are you talking about the ZX1000? If so - isn't there different ergonomics between the Ninja 1000 and the H2SX? I thought they were a very different bike, not just the weight/supercharger.

In general I would say you are right. The ZX1000/Ninja 1000 isn’t as aggressive rider triangle. Just worth noting as it puts out nearly 140hp, has some very nice features and is significantly less money. An alternative to an alternative I suppose. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, all.  Longtime member here, but I haven't spent much time on VFRD the last few years.  I didn't ride a lot the last few years either, only averaging around 1,500 miles/year, but I'm riding more this year.

I'm in the market for my next bike.  I still love my VFR, but getting older (I turned 50 two months ago) and being out-of-shape, it's becoming a bit too uncomfortable for long days.  I've always liked the BMW R1200R, and might be buying a previous generation bike soon.  And if not now, perhaps in the spring.  Like my VFR, it's a great all-around bike, and from the reading I've done they're pretty reliable, like my VFR has been.  Except for the one time it let me down hundreds of miles from home due to a fried stator.  (And I don't hold that against the bike.  Those things happen, but it was just bad timing for when and where it happened.)  Otherwise, it's been terrific.

I've looked at new and used bikes off and on for years, thinking about what my next bike might be.  I've considered a few pretty heavily, but I always come back to the R12R.  It just seems like a good and versatile machine.  Commuting, running errands, long days, tours - it can do everything.  I can afford a nice used one, insurance is cheap, available mods are plentiful, and it doesn't "stand out" much, which I kind of like, but I think it's still a great looking bike.  Without getting into all the details of why I'm drawn to the R12R, I'll just say I think it would be a terrific fit for me.

Thanks for the information posted above about the BMW R1200RS.  When I first saw the RS a few years ago, I thought it would be the perfect post-VFR sports-tourer.  I never would have imagined it would suffer from a vague front end.  Maybe it's a good thing I can't afford one!  ;)

I'm liking the Monster 1200 I have had for about 21 months and 10,000+ miles now.

It is lighter than my old 98 VFR, handles better, and kills it in HP and torque.

Seat height is lower then the viffer, I can flat foot it, with my extra long 29" inseam.

She drinks premium but gets about 44 MPG in back road local riding.

I added a small wind screen in the vain hope of shading the gauges for readability.

Does not do a thing for wind protection, which is the downside with this bike.

Valve adjustment interval 18,000 miles. Nice.

I could and will travel on it, added luggage rack and Givi top case soon after I got it.

But not going to cross the Texas plains or Kansas etc. She wants to dance, not drone, and so do I.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, TimC said:

Hi, all.  Longtime member here, but I haven't spent much time on VFRD the last few years.  I didn't ride a lot the last few years either, only averaging around 1,500 miles/year, but I'm riding more this year.

I'm in the market for my next bike.  I still love my VFR, but getting older (I turned 50 two months ago) and being out-of-shape, it's becoming a bit too uncomfortable for long days.  I've always liked the BMW R1200R, and might be buying a previous generation bike soon.  And if not now, perhaps in the spring.  Like my VFR, it's a great all-around bike, and from the reading I've done they're pretty reliable, like my VFR has been.  Except for the one time it let me down hundreds of miles from home due to a fried stator.  (And I don't hold that against the bike.  Those things happen, but it was just bad timing for when and where it happened.)  Otherwise, it's been terrific.

I've looked at new and used bikes off and on for years, thinking about what my next bike might be.  I've considered a few pretty heavily, but I always come back to the R12R.  It just seems like a good and versatile machine.  Commuting, running errands, long days, tours - it can do everything.  I can afford a nice used one, insurance is cheap, mods are plentiful, and it doesn't "stand out" much, which I kind of like, but I think it's still a great looking bike.  Without getting into all the details of why I'm drawn to the R12R, I'll just say I think it would be a terrific fit for me.

Thanks for the information posted above about the BMW R1200RS.  When I first saw the RS a few years ago, I thought it would be the perfect post-VFR sports-tourer.  I never would have imagined it would suffer from a vague front end.  Maybe it's a good thing I can't afford one!  😉

Such a shame the VFR800X Crossrunner is not on sale in the US.

We have large numbers coming to the 800X from other bikes, particularly BMWs & Triumphs, who pronounce they wouldn't go back.

YMMV.

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Such a shame the VFR800X Crossrunner is not on sale in the US.

We have large numbers coming to the 800X from other bikes, particularly BMWs & Triumphs, who pronounce they wouldn't go back.

YMMV.

The Crossrunner looks great, and yes it's a shame we don't get it in the US.  I didn't used to like adventure style bikes, especially those which were really designed (or would be used) for street duty only, but I'm starting to come around.

• Member Contributer

I would consider an 800cc or lower adv style bike to commute and tour with. But can't seem to part with my high spec 99 VFR800 at the moment. 

I am picking up an Aprilia Tuono factory 1100 rsv4 this weekend. Test ride convinced me it's a great replacement for my now sold 09 FZ1. Motor is buttery smooth but will stretch your arms nicely if you keep pouring on throttle past 8k rpm. 

Fuel consumption puts it in the play bike category instead of VFR do it all club. I like the 8th gen VFR800 too but would not mind a longer suspension adv bike to tackle chopped up asphalt and dirt roads and eventually replace the VFR as my commuter/touring bike. Did I say replace? I think I meant to compliment the VFR.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't say the 800X is any type of off-roader or even gravel bike, but it is a comfier version of the VFR800 which is the most refined and best VFR800 so far, IMHO. After 41500 miles on my 800X, I'm still loving it.

14 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

I would consider an 800cc or lower adv style bike to commute and tour with. But can't seem to part with my high spec 99 VFR800 at the moment. 

I am picking up an Aprilia Tuono factory 1100 rsv4 this weekend. Test ride convinced me it's a great replacement for my now sold 09 FZ1. Motor is buttery smooth but will stretch your arms nicely if you keep pouring on throttle past 8k rpm. 

Fuel consumption puts it in the play bike category instead of VFR do it all club. I like the 8th gen VFR800 too but would not mind a longer suspension adv bike to tackle chopped up asphalt and dirt roads and eventually replace the VFR as my commuter/touring bike. Did I say replace? I think I meant to compliment the VFR.

Nice Bob! I think the BMW S1000R is a bit smoother below 5k rpm but otherwise they are more alike than not except that  Aprilia V4 might be the best sounding bike I've ever heard. 

Archived