FH020AA Install Location on 3Rd Gen

I have a new FH020AA on the way and I was hoping someone out there has installed one of these on a 3Rd Gen and can tell me

where the best mounting location is as well as any tips/ticks for the install

If someone has a picture or two of the install that would be great

Thanks

FH020AA_wb_irf.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just having put one on my fifth gen in the stock position, looking at my third gen I would do the same. I mounted it with the fins vertical and the wires facing forward.

I put (more or less) into the original location but had to drill some holes (if I remember well).

I did not ride it enough to have a proper feedback, this location is known not to be the best for cooling (God that engines makes heat...) but I cannot be worst than the original crappy regulator.

large.20180317_160702_1024.jpg.8badc2a1c5118c3a71e8fd39c5e08ae5.jpg

large.20180317_155028_1024.jpg.d6b122f13740c38361e6b3b3c4eeadf9.jpg

I hope this helps.

Roadstercycle.com has Adapter Plate brackets for sale for all the common types of R/R upgrades (including the FH020AA).  They also have everything you might need to modify the bike's wiring harness to accept the new R/R.

http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm

• Member Contributer

That is as MOSFET one right?   There I'd just put it where it fits...   Had one on my 4th gen (and now on my RC51 as well). They donot get that hot at all

Best add a voltmeter (LED one that changes color or a display one) so you can SEE something is going amiss.

I received the new FHO20AA today and while it is close to fitting in the original location it will not due to the original mounting stubs

Before I resort to grinding off the stubs does anyone have a picture or two of their mounting point?

It looks like the main issue is that the body side panel's shape hits the regulator

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in the location of an after market voltage regulator on a 3rd gen I thought I would give you my idea's and end result

After making a block of wood roughly the same size as the regulator I am installing ( FH020AA ) I found it would not fit 100% in the original location.

In the end I made up a new mounting plate and moved it back behind the rear brake fluid reserve. 1377024482_VFR750MOUNTPLATE.thumb.JPG.ab22270fbfed2f0c988a227c752c81ec.JPG

It fits well here, does not hit the side panel and the seat does not get in the way, in addition I think it will get better air flow here as there is an air space on the back side of the plate.

I am also hoping the 1/4" plate will act as a large heat sink and draw any heat away from the unit

IMG_1657.thumb.JPG.a3997f51777046efdea13c33136fda03.JPG

Once I get everything finished up I will update the fit/issues if anyone is interested

• 1 month later...

Well it took a while but I finally found time to finish the install of the new FH020AA . I am impressed to say the least

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.f14697e57e996099cf35732fa11d0fa5.JPG

I wired in the stator wires as close as I could to the stator end and sealed off the old wiring.

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.db505b14de58a11f051a4948248d89a4.JPG

I then wired in the regulator and shortened the battery wires so they fit neatly

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.dd9fc5c333b547d9f6555907fce91298.JPG

Today I installed the rebuilt carbs and fired her up for the first time in months

I was impressed, my volt meter showed 14.4 volts at idle

I ran the bike for 10 minutes and the new FH020AA was as cool as if it was never started, if that had been the old regulator I doubt you could have touched it

Now to sink the carbs and started putting the body panels back on

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the adapter plate from roadstercycle.com.  With the plate, I used only one of their bolts to secure it to the bike (the top one) and then rotated it so the FH020AA was no longer canted downward at an angle.  Mine sits facing directly right and fits good.  

Archived