Random capped plug on wiring harness

• Member Contributer

Has anyone seen, or know what this randomly capped off plug is that is taped to the connector for the instrument cluster? I haven't found a wiring diagram that lists what it is

sketch-1553196547147.png

IMG_20190321_151356396.jpg

• Member Contributer

diagnostics seems possible, there are about 5 wires going to this connector. what I find weird is the cap is completely taped to the harness. you would think as a diagnostics port it would be easily accessible similar to the red one on the right side of the bike.

Browsing some images on google, i haven't seen any other harnesses with this connector. 

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, TriumphTraitor said:

diagnostics seems possible, there are about 5 wires going to this connector. what I find weird is the cap is completely taped to the harness. you would think as a diagnostics port it would be easily accessible similar to the red one on the right side of the bike.

Browsing some images on google, i haven't seen any other harnesses with this connector. 

Well, Seems ive found an answer for anyone else who is curious. It is a rectifier as per this parts catalog

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/800-MOTO/VFR/2009/VFR800A9_A/Frame/--FAISCEAU-DES-FILS-VFR800A-/97198/F_32_1/2/10418

part number 4

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, TriumphTraitor said:

clutch diode eh? any idea what its for? it seems like early model gen 6's don't have it

The diode block is actually a double diode, each diode simply works like a hydraulic one way valve, allowing electrical flow in one direction and not the other. 

As you can see by the attached drawing you would expect to see 3 wires at your plug which I think I can identify from your picture. So, the diodes are all about providing in gear, clutch in start, and providing correct Neutral light indication.

The upper diode in the drawing is the Clutch Diode. It's purpose is to Stop the ground (being provided by the clutch pulled in and side stand switch up) enabling the Neutral Light whilst in gear, and allows the start relay to energise for an in gear, clutch in start. It also allows the Neutral Switch ground to flow to the Starter Relay in a normal neutral gear, side stand down start. If there was no clutch diode (or a shorted diode) and it was a solid wire, then every time you pulled in the clutch while riding your Neutral Light would come On!

As for the lower diode on the Neutral Indicator side I'm not too sure of its purpose, and suggest that if it was a solid wire without the diode, things would still work normally.

Also the Diode Block is part of the Fuse Box on the 6gens I've owned. (Non ABS).

image.png

• Member Contributer

Thank you @Grum for such a detailed explanation. It never dawned on me to check the beginning of each section for a wiring schematic. Does make sense why it's there now.

Cheers!

Archived