What is the fuel capacity for the 8th gen VFR800?

keepon18

There seem to be some differing numbers of 5.20 and 5.60 gallons (19.7 and 21.2 liters, respectively).

There isn't a difference in capacity between countries is there? Searching through posts for Eighth Gen fuel ranges, some members from Spain, Australia, Germany, and UK have filled 19.7 to 20.4 liters (5.2 to 5.39 gallons). And yet, the manual I have and Honda North America's website for the VFR800F notes a 5.2 gallon fuel capacity. Some reviews on the 2014/15 mention 5.6 gallons.

On my 2015, haven't ran to dry but most I've filled is 4.738 and that's 15 or so miles after the E light coming on at 216 miles on the trip odometer. Haha, it's been bothering me and I'm just really curious.

Right! That's the entire reason for the discrepancy then?

The manual also says the E flashes with 1 gallon left and that's normally about 4.3 gallons used up for me. Would make sense for a standard 5.2 gallon fuel tank.

1 hour ago, fink said:

The fuel tank is made in metric. It’s capacity is 21.5 litres 

That begs the question, are the US Honda VFR website and manual wrong in giving a 5.2 gallon capacity? (5.2 gallons = 19.7 liters)

Although, these are the specs listed on the Honda websites for the most recent VFR800F models:

VFR 800 (US) - 5.2 gal (19.7L)

VFR 800 (UK) - 21.5L

VFR 800 (Australia) - 21.5L

VFR 800 (Japan) - 21L

Damn it, I'm going to have to run 'er dry to find out lol

• Member Contributer

US Gallons,Imp Gallons - Thank God for the metric system!

My Owners Book and Service Manual states 21.2litres (5.60 US gal, 4.66 Imp gal). Australia and New Zealand 2014 versions. Strange to see there would be any discrepancy, surely Honda wouldn't make differing tank volumes or maybe different sized fuel pumps for the same bike depending on country!

The great thing with the 8gen is I don't normally have to look for fuel till around the 400k range (249miles).

Overall the 8gen has superior fuel economy than the 6gen.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer
On 3/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, Grum said:

US Gallons,Imp Gallons - Thank God for the metric system!

My Owners Book and Service Manual states 21.2litres (5.60 US gal, 4.66 Imp gal). Australia and New Zealand 2014 versions. Strange to see there would be any discrepancy, surely Honda wouldn't make differing tank volumes or maybe different sized fuel pumps for the same bike depending on country!

The great thing with the 8gen is I don't normally have to look for fuel till around the 400k range (249miles).

Overall the 8gen has superior fuel economy than the 6gen.

Cheers.:beer:

Correct.  It's a non-issue with me.  It holds enough that I don't want to ride its' range without stopping by any stretch of the imagination.  All one has to do is fill it up at a stop and then go.  That simple. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, keepon18 said:

That begs the question, are the US Honda VFR website and manual wrong in giving a 5.2 gallon capacity? (5.2 gallons = 19.7 liters)

Although, these are the specs listed on the Honda websites for the most recent VFR800F models:

VFR 800 (US) - 5.2 gal (19.7L)

VFR 800 (UK) - 21.5L

VFR 800 (Australia) - 21.5L

VFR 800 (Japan) - 21L

Damn it, I'm going to have to run 'er dry to find out lol

What about Canada!?!?!?!? 😉

• Member Contributer

Honda (US) service manual states 21.2 litres.

UK owners manual which also covers Europe , Australia and New Zealand states 21,2litres. 

The 21,5i originally got came from a press clipping. 

52 minutes ago, fink said:

Honda (US) service manual states 21.2 litres.

UK owners manual which also covers Europe , Australia and New Zealand states 21,2litres. 

The 21,5i originally got came from a press clipping. 

Sounds good! It's a very minor naggle, if anything haha. I love the range on this thing and VTEC makes it a perfect fast commuter bike.

• Member Contributer

I own a 2014 that I bought new in New York.  I have in fact run the gasoline tank to empty and can confirm that the tank holds a full 5.6 US gallons and then a bit.  I can also confirm that the reserve light goes on at pretty much exactly 1 gallon.

That the US Honda Powersports web site has had the wrong specification for tank capacity since the VFR was announced is fairly well-known and was mentioned in a review I wrote shortly after purchasing the bike.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, Rectaltronics said:

I own a 2014 that I bought new in New York.  I have in fact run the gasoline tank to empty and can confirm that the tank holds a full 5.6 US gallons and then a bit.  I can also confirm that the reserve light goes on at pretty much exactly 1 gallon.

That the US Honda Powersports web site has had the wrong specification for tank capacity since the VFR was announced is fairly well-known and was mentioned in a review I wrote shortly after purchasing the bike.

Haha, I appreciate it. Now I won't have to try it myself! How much did you actually fill after running to empty?

This bike is amazing. It legitimately feels like I've found this missing part of me 😅 Although, as someone used to standard/naked bikes, it's a shame Honda doesn't sell the 800X in the US!

• 1 month later...

I always want to stretch it, but my gauge starts flashing around 200 miles typically, then I get anxiety and go fill up. Around 4.7 gallons is the average I put in. 

Been wanting to put a little gas in a can to reassure myself. aluminum can or perhaps sturdy plastic container like empty HDPE oil jugs. But I don't think I'd trust the threads on the lid with the gas expansion. 

copied and pasted from my US 2014 Deluxe manual

Tank capacity
Unleaded petrol
Recommended: 91 RON or higher 21.2 litres (5.60 US gal, 4.66 Imp gal)

Archived