4th gen with 08 cbr1000rr gauges help needed

Been scrounging the forums for a couple hours now and have hit a bit of a dead end, hoping someone here might be able to fill in some holes in my research.

I have the cbr gauge wired in for everything except for temp.

The sensor(37760-MT2-003) on the bottom left of the vfr rad is to turn on the fan and I can just leave that as is right? (does it depend on the other sensor or will it just turn on whenever it wants to?)

If so, is it the little gold sensor(37750-PC1-004) that screws into the temperature casing(19311-MZ6-730) that I have to replace? 

Now assuming those are both correct, do I need to buy a koso sensor or is there a factory honda sensor that screws in? Looks like it just has to be the right size/threading and have two prongs.

Thank you! and much love to Fotomoto and everyone that contributed to his post.

Yes, leave the fan switch alone. 

The newer Honda's use a dual sensor so that both the ECU and gauges can get a temperature reading. 

I'm not sure what size the original sensor is on the RC36, you may struggle to replace it as the new one is iirc M10

• Member Contributer

The fan switch on the left rad is standalone. Nothing to do with the coolant temperature monitoring temp gauge. The fan switch turns on & off automatically based on coolant temperature at that switch.

The temp sensor is in the V of the engine below the throttle bodies. The output from it should be consistent with the CBR temp monitoring circuit, but if not just replace it with a CBR1000RR one.

Have fun. If you built a wiring diagram I’d be interested, as I have plans to upgrade the gauge unit on mine. What model CBR gauges did you go with ?

• Member Contributer

As per Fastdruids update which arrived as I was finishing my post. If that is the case then just get a CBR temp sensor & use a thread converter if required. Most temp sensors are just a heat sensitive resistive element, as they get hotter the resistance changes which is what is read by the gauge. A wire conversion may be simpler. Check the CBR manual as it should specifybthevresistive values for the sensor. They are likely to be similar to the VFR’s.

15 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

As per Fastdruids update which arrived as I was finishing my post. If that is the case then just get a CBR temp sensor & use a thread converter if required. 

You can't. There isn't one. I searched long and hard (or if there is please let me know!)

The original P/N 37750-PC1-004 sensor is 1/8, the newer type one is M10 and you just can't get that kind of sensor adaptor. 

You *may* be able to drill out the original but it looks to me as if there is not enough metal in that area. A converter would certainly be easier. The relevant resistances are: 

Original sensor is 

60 Deg C - 104OHM

85 Deg C - 43.9OHM

110 Deg C 20.3OHM

120 Deg C 16.1OHM

CBR1000RR8 is

50 Deg C - 6.8-7.4kOHM

80 Dec C - 2.1-2.7kOHM

Here is a wiring diagram for the CBR1000RR4-5 which is the same pin-out for the clocks (but an easier to read diagram) and the CBR1000RR8 as well as the pins for the clocks labelled (taken from a Firestorm forum hence the reference to the VTR1000) as the wiring diagram doesn't get that far!

CBR1000RR_08_USA_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

16ishuv.jpg

Wiring Diagram sc57 CBR1000RR 04-05.pdf

I forgot to add, if you *do* use the CBR1000RR sensor then you will also need the connector for it, it uses a 3 pin connector rather than the single bullet (and earth to the thermostat) of the original. 

Archived