Blowing out FI fuse

CurtBrass

• Member Contributer

New to the group; bought a 1999 VFR 800 last year. Ran great all summer but I was going through headlights like crazy. In the fall I rode out my driveway and it just died. Basically, no power to the fuel pump. FI light on, but couldn't hear the fuel pump whirring, starter would engage but it wouldn't fire. I figured an FI problem. 

Put it away for winter, and started looking at it now. The large 30 amp fuse beside the fuse block was melted. Replaced it. Tried starting. Cooked the 20 amp FI fuse. Repeatedly. Checked orange earth block, all looked good. Checked three yellow wire connection downstream from the R/R and it was cooked. Absolutely black and destroyed inside. Cut out the connection and reconnected the wires. 

Fried another FI fuse. 

So I'm guessing that the R/R is shot. I've seen suggestions about replacing with an R1 R/R, but what about all the other wires? 

And any any thoughts on the headlight issue? Or is it likely related? 

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

Headlight bulbs could have been related, possibly too-high voltage.   You'd have measured the voltage to see but that'd be before all this other damage.

I'm planning to install a knockoff FH020AA unit I got for $30 (USD) from a USA vendor.  There are lots of writeups on this.  A genuine version is $130 or so, I'm game to try out a knockoff but not the even-cheaper ones direct from China, too much of that stuff I find are QC fails.

• Member Contributer

I have had the 847 kit on my '99 for a couple years now. That, and an Eastern Beaver headlight relay/accessory fuse block kit. Takes a huge load off the wimpy stock wiring.

• Member Contributer

Ok. So I've ordered the FH020AA from Roadster Cycle and the relay kit from Eastern Beaver. Should I order a stator as well, or is it probably ok? It seems like it will be a real pain to replace. 

• Member Contributer

Pulled the stator cover and found a very burnt brown stator behind it, so ordered a new stator as well. Will let you know how it all works out. 

And on St. Patrick's Day, this is as close to green beer as I'll get. 

IMG_1500.JPG

image.jpg

IMG_1503.JPG

image.jpg

• Member Contributer

How long stators last depends on a lot of factors, but those of us who ride agressively in warmer climates tend to burn 'em up sooner. I have found the OEM units to be of better quality than aftermarket replacements.

Archived