Two Bros slip on...

Per the title, I bought one and it's a little too quiet for my taste.  I've considered repacking it with less material, but I've also considered the "I should just leave it alone."  I don't want it squid loud, and I don't want to spoil the cam gear whine.  Input, please and thank you.

• Member Contributer

TBR end cans are not generally known for being "too quiet"!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, JZH said:

TBR end cans are not generally known for being "too quiet"!

Ciao,

JZH

x2 - my TBR can is louder than the smaller (both diam and length) Black Widow I replaced it with. In general, I found it to be loud.

OP - you should be able to drill out the rivets and make whatever mods you want to the silencer. TBR offers the rivets as a part of their repack kits, but they look like regular pop rivets and I'm guessing you could get them locally or from McMaster-Carr, etc. separately also. Good luck

• Member Contributer

Just bought some ceramic wool to repack my TBR carbon. I'll report back on the results when I get it done. This will be the second repack of this pipe since I've owned it. 1st was done with standard fiberglass. It was quiet (as TBR pipes go) for about 10K then started to get too loud for me.

I love the sound of the carbon pipe. It has a nice "bark" to it when you get the revs up, but is relatively mellow at lower revs.

Repacking is an art (or black magic).  I've done a few over the years. 

Within the range of what the manufacturer qualifies as a "properly repacked" exhaust canister there is room for some tuning of the sound output, a little tweak of the canister's basic sound characteristic. 

A little more/tighter packing = more harshness/bark.  A little less/looser packing = more lower register/less harshness. 

I've got my '99 5th Gen's Vance&Hines S4 canister packed on the tight side for more bark.

• Member Contributer

The outer shell of the pipe matters a lot too. Different shell material, and length means different resonant frequencies. You could really go down a rabbit hole.....

• Member Contributer
On 3/14/2019 at 11:12 PM, adkfinn said:

x2 - my TBR can is louder than the smaller (both diam and length) Black Widow I replaced it with. In general, I found it to be loud.

OP - you should be able to drill out the rivets and make whatever mods you want to the silencer. TBR offers the rivets as a part of their repack kits, but they look like regular pop rivets and I'm guessing you could get them locally or from McMaster-Carr, etc. separately also. Good luck

They're stainless steel, large head pop rivets, but tapping the holes for stainless steel M4 button head screws is my favourite solution.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Got the pipe back on the bike yesterday. The ceramic wool has a more subdued tone than the fiberglass. I don't think it's quite as dense. The fiberglass I removed was still in good structural shape, but pretty carbon fouled. Now to see how long the ceramic lasts.

Archived