Tires

• Member Contributer

So thinking with about 10k on the tires now, PP front, PR3 rear....time to replace them, although tread still looks good on both, see pics.

Anyways as everyone here knows, finding a 170/60 is a problem.  

I am not an aggressive rider by any means, I just do a day-out riding the roads around Southern Arizona, no peg dragging....so do not need the grip of a sport tire like Pilot Power 2CTs which would probably not yield much in the way of mileage.  Never two-up, not carrying much luggage, although I do have hard cases for it now.

So what are you guys using on these days?

IMG_0373[1].JPG

IMG_0372[1].JPG

• Member Contributer

If you're getting 10K out of a PP/PR combo a 180/55 will be fine on the rear. You may notice a slight difference in turn-in, but it's not anything more than a fresh set of tires.

Last time I shopped 170/60 was still available in PP, but that's been a while. I prefer those for handling on the 4th gen. Unless I'm putting on straight miles that's what I mount.

• Member Contributer

Looking into the T31s.....

Well now a bit confused with the T31s....the rear GT version is supposed to be for heavier bikes, but has a one number lighter load rating than the rear non GT version...does not make sense;

the rear GT has 3 nylon, 1 steel belts....non GT has 2 nylon, 1 steel.....,makes sense that GT is a heavier construction..

The rear GT is available in a 170, the non GT is not, would have to use a 180.....????

Can someone explain this to me??

Also I need a tire for hot dry pavement, usually with some sand, not improved wet traction.....I live in the desert, not out when it might rain. 

• Member Contributer

I purchased the non-GT version. The review I read was done by a larger chap with a HEAVILY loaded 5th gen. By heavily I mean the difference between a 5th gen and a Goldwing (comparing my set-up to his). He tried both (T30 EVO mind you) and liked the GT much better. But I would think for his use he SHOULD have the GT.

For your described use, I think you would be just fine with the non-GT. Sizing is a different story.

I would think you would want the same sidewall/carcass stiffness at each end rather than GT on rear and non on front. Just my uneducated opinion though.

Are you replacing due to tire age? Looks like you have a fair bit of tread life on your existing tires by the photos.

• Member Contributer

Consider the BT-023 if you're looking for a robust long-life touring tire. Bridgestone still makes these and has classified them as just that.

Touring & Sport, the definitive long-life touring tire that provides two opposing performance features!
Recommended for: 
●Riders who want to enjoy touring along with long wear life tires.
●Riders who want to focus on more comfortable long touring and excellent performance in wet conditions.
●Riders who ride heavy sport-tourers to sport-naked motorbikes.

• Member Contributer

I agree that both tires I have seem to me to have alot of tread left with having 10k miles on them, especially the rear.  I was only replacing due to age.....if I remember correctly both have a 2013 mfg date.  These tires were on there when I purchased the bike 5 yrs ago (next month).

Appears my riding style yields higher mileage than most....so I probably do not need a tire that is made with long wear tire life.

I agree that I do not need the GT version of the T31s....and would not mix them.

I have read that all Bstone tires give a harsh ride.  Sure do not want that on these "wonderful" roads around Southern Arizona.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived