Camping at Sonoma Raceway

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

Greetings my Californian brethren.

I'm kicking around the idea of riding down to Sonoma for the August MotoAmerica round. I don't really want to get raped on motel prices there like I am at Laguna Seca so I was thinking of camping at the raceway.

For people that have done it; what's it like? Is it all RVs or does anyone moto-camp it?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum) would be a great place to ask this. Lot of racers and fans there.

I've been there often but never camped. But did camp at Laguna many times.

• Member Contributer

I didn't know they had camping at Sonoma...but it has been a long time since I've been there.  However, there are probably a lot more motel choices around there than around Monterey.  Have fun!

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Haven't camped at Sonoma, we stayed in Novato, about 10 miles west of the track. Motel prices there, or anywhere along Hwy-101, are no picnic. Vallejo has more affordable rates, leastwise according to Google (search for Vallejo, Cal accommodations for example). Have no idea how pleasant or otherwise it isa as a community.

I'll note that après-ski aspect of attending the races is far better in Monterey. Certainly nothing along the lines of Cannery Row on Saturday night. Didn't see anything at MotoAmerica's site in that regard.

• Member Contributer

I have not camped at Sonoma since I live 30 minutes away, but I attended MotoAmerica last year, as well as several other races there, and have also done a Sonoma track day. It's mostly giant RV's but I think you will have a great time with a bike and a tent.

The RV's are mainly motorcycle people anyway, such as the Keigwins/Carters track day RV's. There's a lot of room up in the NE corner above the track. I will try to attach a video of that area from last year so you can get a feel of the wide-open spaces at a MotoAmerica event:

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

https://motoamerica.com/sonoma/

9 days and counting.

August 10-11. I am considering going. The MotoAmerica races were as much or more fun to watch than WSBK my last 3 times attending Laguna Seca including this year. Not sure I will take the bike though. Long hot ride from Orange County. 

• Member Contributer

I'll be there. Can't say I have really kept up with American road racing lately, but Wayne is giving it his best effort so I'll go. Saw him in the pits at Laguna WSBK this month, he looks great.

Dale Quarterly was probably the most fun to watch last year, wheelies down the straight every lap while winning the classic division. 

I will try to post a video below, DQ smoking for victory:

Archived