exhaust

Guest motohockey

Guest motohockey

any thoughts on after market exhaust system for 2009 VFR 800 ABS...would like something with a lot less weight but NOT real loud, is that possible?

• Member Contributer

Moto, do your research and homework here.  The best to me is Staintune but not sure about their supply or timeliness any more.  With baffles in they are still good, and lifetime.  Lighter too but not a race system in terms of weight comparison.  The bike doesn't fit that profile.  

• Member Contributer

There are a ton of great options, but sound will vary significantly. I currently have LeoVince on my bike with the decibel reducers removed. its not ridiculously loud, and has a really solid deep throaty growl. With the decibel reducers installed its significantly quieter, but it looses that deep growl and starts to sound like someone is blowing hard through a straw.

With out the Db killers i can cruise comfortably on the highway without hearing a significant amount of exhaust noise.

I have heard the scorpion exhaust and sounds very similar to the LeoVince - they also have the ability to remove the decibel reducers.

Two Brothers is another option, but keep in mind here that the left hand side muffler is a dummy, and exhaust only passes through the muffler on the right. I'm personally not a fan of this set up. but some people prefer the sound of the single exhaust over the twin.

Basically, any exhaust that comes with a removable baffle or decibel killer will be a viable option for you.

The PO put a single exit Two Brothers pipe on my bike.  It sounds great, but it's definitely not quiet.  I took the bike out once without wearing ear plugs, made it about half a mile before I stopped to put them in. 

• Member Contributer
On 3/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, TriumphTraitor said:

There are a ton of great options, but sound will vary significantly. I currently have LeoVince on my bike with the decibel reducers removed. its not ridiculously loud, and has a really solid deep throaty growl. With the decibel reducers installed its significantly quieter, but it looses that deep growl and starts to sound like someone is blowing hard through a straw.

With out the Db killers i can cruise comfortably on the highway without hearing a significant amount of exhaust noise.

I have heard the scorpion exhaust and sounds very similar to the LeoVince - they also have the ability to remove the decibel reducers.

Two Brothers is another option, but keep in mind here that the left hand side muffler is a dummy, and exhaust only passes through the muffler on the right. I'm personally not a fan of this set up. but some people prefer the sound of the single exhaust over the twin.

Basically, any exhaust that comes with a removable baffle or decibel killer will be a viable option for you.

There *were* a lot of great options. However most are not in production any longer. You’d be stuck trying to find used or NOS for most of the better ones (e.g. Leo, Scorpion, Arrow).  Now if you look for new systems it’s Delkevic, TBR, and a bunch of off brand eBay sellers. 

• Member Contributer

There is actually a few brands still making the muffler for the 5G so the 6G can't be much different.

Sometimes you just have to contact manufacturer and ask the question.

GPR come to mind.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFROZ said:

There is actually a few brands still making the muffler for the 5G so the 6G can't be much different.

Sometimes you just have to contact manufacturer and ask the question.

GPR come to mind.

I don’t know about 5G versus 6G. As for dedicated 6G I even listed a few. My point was that the higher quality ones such as LV which people generally seem to think is the better of all the offerings are no longer in production. Staintune was no longer producing but may have a limited run on offer (I thought there was a post about this recently). Arrow is no longer producing for this model.  Scorpion doesn’t seem to be producing either, you can find some NOS listed in places often overseas (UK) however the ones I contacted said ‘sorry mate we no longer have that on offer’. You’re left with TBR which is not a true ‘dual’ canister set up (I’ll never understand this) and a bunch of off brands. Delkevic, Black Widow, and some eBay ones.  I think some of these canisters look more Honda Civic than Honda VFR. GPR shows offerings most of which I think are garish and/or overpriced, plus I’ve never seen one mounted up in America and you’ll have to order from Italy in most cases. 

Used market is almost all OEM mufflers.  When I was searching there was the odd TBR and Delkevic, I searched for months last year and ultimately found a used mint Arrow unit on the Japanese site Crooober, it cost a little more than a D and way less than a GPR. 

To the OP - Good luck!

• Member Contributer

You could always buy the new TBR full sustem replica that has just been made on here. Will add 5-8hp to your bike depending on what silencers you fit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of in the same boat, I'd like to replace the lot, partly for the weight reduction, partly to clean it up since the original doesn't look as good, but I don't want it to be much if any louder than stock.

• Member Contributer

The noise is the can, really. I have a Delkovic with a carbon can on my 5th gen, and with the silencer baffle in you aren't really loud at all. With the silencer out it is obnoxious. You lose 1% with the silencer in, but you'll still be 5hp up and, trust me, the slipon is WAY lighter than the stock muffler.  I'm betting the noise considerations on the 6th gen are the same, even if it is dual muffler it won't be too loud with the baffles in.

I'm not selling Delk, specifically. just saying, the right muffler will not be too loud, and with the new system Wade is making you just choose a slipon system as your can.

• Member Contributer

A small tip on the loudness - I find that the baffles are a little too quiet, but open is too loud.  I usually cut down and drill holes in the baffle insert until I get the volume level where I like it - cut/drill a little at a time and test until you find the volume level that you like.  I don't have a Delkevic, but this has worked out on a bunch of other brands so there shouldn't be any difference.

• Member Contributer

Search craigslist / ebay / kijiji until you find good used at the right price. Got my Leo Vince in carbon fibre, in as-new condition, for $375 after maybe a year of regularly watching online...

thanks for all your various comments, I'll keep researching/looking but as I have the OEM system off at the moment(installing new Stadium Suspension Technologies shock) I hope to find something I like before finishing re-assembly of the rear end

Archived