5G front end swap wheel question

VFROZ

Question

• Member Contributer

I'm going to do an SP1 front end swap to my 5G.

I have everything except front wheel/discs.

I'm using the VFR1200 triples, which have the same fork spacing as the 929/954, SP1/2 and CBR1000RR, and I will need 320mm discs.

Having trouble finding an SP1/2 front wheel, and they are asking too much for a CBR1000rr.

What other options do I have?

Does the 600RR front wheel have the same disc mount distance and disc offset?

Honda are pretty good at using the same sizes of stuff across many bikes but having trouble getting accurate information on this.

Any help will be much appreciated.

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Just bumping this as it might have been missed during the upgrade.

There must be someone with an answer.

• Member Contributer

I tried to answer a couple of days ago, the the forum software was less than cooperative...

I haven't checked all of the possible front wheels (especially the three-spokers, which I don't like), but the only other one I can think of that might fit is the 2008-on CB1000R.  There was one other bike--can't think of its name right now, but it had essentially the same wheel as the SP2.  Aaarrgghh!  Sorry.  (It wan't a very common model, though, so I don't think it will expand your search very much.)

The flat spokes of that wheel match the standard RC46 rear wheel fairly well, I think.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I have an 8 spoke on the back, so the SP2 would be the best match but very hard to find.

With the 320mm discs, you don't see much of the front wheel, but it would be nice to get something that looks better.

I'll take a 3 spoke if the price was right, but I've only found them for around AU$500, a bit much I think.

The CB1000R didn't sell well here, but I'll take a look.

Cheers mate.

• Member Contributer
On 3/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, VFROZ said:

I have an 8 spoke on the back, so the SP2 would be the best match but very hard to find.

With the 320mm discs, you don't see much of the front wheel, but it would be nice to get something that looks better.

I'll take a 3 spoke if the price was right, but I've only found them for around AU$500, a bit much I think.

The CB1000R didn't sell well here, but I'll take a look.

Cheers mate.

I prefer SP1 6-spoke front wheels as a match for the RC36 8-spoke rear.  They are like hen's teeth, but they come up on eBay from time to time.  There's one now, but it's pricey: 223442764704

s-l1600.jpg

Ciao,

JZH

Archived