Will a 6th Generation Tank retro fit a 5th Generation?

Newbie here; just acquired a '99 and the fuel tank has a major dent in it.  I don't want to go the Bondo/re-spray route.  I cannot source a replacement tank that I would be satisfied with (sigh).  I didn't think it would be a big deal to find a NOS tank, but I finally figured out that they must be clean out of stock.  I can find NOS 6th Gen tanks, so, what kind of fabricating (if any) is required to swap?  Thanks in advance for tips, pics and advice.  

• Member Contributer

Yeah just needs some trimming of the 5th gen plastics below the handle bar where it meets the tank. Plus an adapter for tha rear mount. Have fun. Much simpler to just get a 5th gen tank, they are cheap as chips. 

Real easy to fit a 6th gen tank to a 5th if your 5th gen is fightered. I made a half arsed spacer, then paid seb for a properly made one.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Noncarborundum said:

So, you can shim out the body work (left, right, front) and not have to hack away at the fairing plastic?  I can't see the pics posted, so I'm flying blind here.  Thanks for the help.  

I've seen Veefer's bike in person multiple times and spoken to him.  AFAIK it's highly unlikely you'd be able to shim the plastic out far enough to accomplish that.  The clearance is needed at the front and the fairing has to fit in to the cowl.   A body saw or similar will make quick work of trimming the plastic - for my $.02 that would be the way to go. If you're not enthusiastic about cutting your OEM plastic, some Chinese fairings could be used.    IMHO the 6th gen tank looks really good on a 5th gen.  It's very subtle - probably only another VFR owner would notice.  Once painted to match it would be a nice mod. 

Yes, it's a trick mod that I seriously must consider.  The plastic sides are like new.  I have the PO's original plastic that is marred, so in theory, I could hack those up and learn from my mistakes.  I like the idea of a subtle change with enhanced range.  The upside of all this is that I have a little time to think it over.  I really appreciate all the input.  Thanks, much.

Archived