VFR800 vs sportbikes

9C1

Just a question from someone who hasn't ridden a 600 or 1000cc sportbike.  Are the pure sportbikes really that much faster overall than the VFR?  From the specs I see, I would assume the VFR is about as fast 0-60 (if you're not counting tenths of seconds).  But beyond that I'd assume that's where the pure sportbike would pull away from the VFR.  Is that accurate? 

I've ridden a ZX6R and a ZX11, and now the VFR800f and the inline 4's of the kawi's pull like freight trains right up through the gears, there is no VTEC and it does make a difference. The V4's sound awesome, but the inline 4's are beasts.  There's no way in hell I would even consider racing my ZX6R or my ZX11 with the VFR.

Yes a litter bike can pull away from a VFR pretty much at will. That being said that dose not mean it will beat a VFR up and back from a ride.

On a tight road I can go about as fast on the VFR as my S1000R though its a bit more work on the VFR. For my level of skill its not the power of the bike 

limiting me 🙂 (I'm a reasonably quick rider but have lots to learn) the power  of the S1000R means I can be lazy and not care what gear I'm in as it always has

enough grunt to handle the situation. Unless the road is strait Duc2v4 can leave me and my S1000R as if we are standing still on either of his VFR's. 🙂 

• Member Contributer

Leaving out the rider of course:

Liter bike will crush a VFR completely. 0-100 literbike can do it with coming out of first gear!

Even a modern 600 will spank it.

Just the reality of power to weight ratio.

That said: VFR is spot enough for street riding. I wish I had a nickel for every supersport I blew by in the twisties. I'd buy a Ducati and never speak to you people again. I need I need.

• Member Contributer

Having ridden a CBR1000RR, the power is in the "holy sh!t" range... yah, like everyone else is saying, in a staight line it will wax the VFR for breakfast every time. That said, in the twists, its more rider vs rider.  I have personally given a few good lessons to a few sportbike riders in some twisty stuff.  

Sub 60 (and assuming you're in the correct gear) the VFR has more torque and power *at the wheel* than some modern litre bikes because they're all geared to do 100mph+ in 1st while the VFR does 56mph. 

So in the slower stuff it can have more "punch" out of the corner (and the 750's are actually better than the 800's), especially as with litre bikes you can be lazy and be in a higher gear than "ideal" but on the downside they're heavy and doesn't handle as well as the modern race reps. 

Of course when the speed rises the VFR will be utterly outclassed and if the riders don't know what they're doing and are in the wrong gear(s) then the litre bike will have the edge.

• Member Contributer

This applies to motorsports in general: less brake + more throttle = better lap times.

It seems simple in theory.....

• Member Contributer

Both nice videos but all they show is the VFR rider is better than the other guys. 

The VFRs are fast, make no mistake. Later models might be heavy and a bit lazy but there is a strong sporting pedigree there. 

Modern purpose-built sportsbikes on the other hand are mind-bendingly fast! Frankly they scare the sh!t out of me and the VFR doesn’t do that. 

Since the early noughties bike power has gone crazy. Think of the Super Blackbird, Haysbusa, S1000RR and now that new supercharged Kawasaki.

It’s so bad that most of these machines can not safely be ridden anywhere near their potential without a f#ckload of electrical aids to help control their excesses.

Does anyone remember a time before ABS, dynamic stability control, engine braking control, traction control and the like? Well, the VFR was born in that pre-electrical era. Hell, even the FI system on the 5th gen (grandfather of all 800s) is a crude first attempt. 

So you’re not comparing apples and apples here. Modern sports bikes boast power, braking and suspension excesses that require electronics to keep them stable. VFRs don’t have the kind of power that requires such electronic trickery (other than ABS, really). 

Then you look at the riders of the different machines. 

VFR riders tend to be quite experienced and (dare I say) mature. You won’t find many squids on a Viffer. They also tend to hold on to their bikes longer and know them well. This makes them capable riders and very handy in a dogfight! 

Sportsbike riders tend tend to fall into two camps: either they are hardcore headbanging speed merchants who live for trackdays and the thrill of overtaking everything; or they are inexperienced wannabes way out of their depth playing top-trumps. 

The former are generally a bit older and lethal in a dogfight. You won’t catch these boys with a VFR. 

The latter are either very young and stupid or born-again bikers in a midlife crisis. These boys tend to be organ-donors-in-waiting and a VFR will have them for breakfast. 

Trouble is you never know which of the two just pulled up next to you on a S1000RR at the lights...

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Stray said:

Both nice videos but all they show is the VFR rider is better than the other guys. 

The VFRs are fast, make no mistake. Later models might be heavy and a bit lazy but there is a strong sporting pedigree there. 

Modern purpose-built sportsbikes on the other hand are mind-bendingly fast! Frankly they scare the sh!t out of me and the VFR doesn’t do that. 

Since the early noughties bike power has gone crazy. Think of the Super Blackbird, Haysbusa, S1000RR and now that new supercharged Kawasaki.

It’s so bad that most of these machines can not safely be ridden anywhere near their potential without a f#ckload of electrical aids to help control their excesses.

Does anyone remember a time before ABS, dynamic stability control, engine braking control, traction control and the like? Well, the VFR was born in that pre-electrical era. Hell, even the FI system on the 5th gen (grandfather of all 800s) is a crude first attempt. 

So you’re not comparing apples and apples here. Modern sports bikes boast power, braking and suspension excesses that require electronics to keep them stable. VFRs don’t have the kind of power that requires such electronic trickery (other than ABS, really). 

Then you look at the riders of the different machines. 

VFR riders tend to be quite experienced and (dare I say) mature. You won’t find many squids on a Viffer. They also tend to hold on to their bikes longer and know them well. This makes them capable riders and very handy in a dogfight! 

Sportsbike riders tend tend to fall into two camps: either they are hardcore headbanging speed merchants who live for trackdays and the thrill of overtaking everything; or they are inexperienced wannabes way out of their depth playing top-trumps. 

The former are generally a bit older and lethal in a dogfight. You won’t catch these boys with a VFR. 

The latter are either very young and stupid or born-again bikers in a midlife crisis. These boys tend to be organ-donors-in-waiting and a VFR will have them for breakfast. 

Trouble is you never know which of the two just pulled up next to you on a S1000RR at the lights...

Hey ease up there stray😀

Somedays the need for speed just needs a little bit more speed 🏍:wheel:

Haha but like others have said it comes down to the rider and the right wrist , sure I can go 100ks in 1st or 50ks in 6th.

Take a test ride and be prepared for MBD

• Member Contributer

True! 

I’ve got MBD bad.

My wife said, “you’ve only got one arse so you only need one bike”. I casually pointed to her profligate collection of shoes and won the argument without saying a single word...

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Stray said:

True! 

I’ve got MBD bad.

My wife said, “you’ve only got one arse so you only need one bike”. I casually pointed to her profligate collection of shoes and won the argument without saying a single word...

You typed that from the emergency room, didn't you?

Are they removing the shoes from your arse in pairs, or one at a time?😂

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Nelix said:

You typed that from the emergency room, didn't you?

Are they removing the shoes from your arse in pairs, or one at a time?😂

Also true. I “win” arguments with my wife at huge cost. 

Archived