New forum version has just been released

• Forum CEO

A major new release of the forum software has just been released. I know how much some of you hate hate hate when I change things, but this version has a limited amount of time left for tech support....which I need...cause I'm an idiot.

Believe me I hate upgrading too. I've done it at least 12 times.

This version needs a completely upgraded linux lamp stack. Which means I can try to upgrade every software package in the stack, linux, Apache, mysql, and PHP individually...which always works out (ha ha ha ha)

.OR I can back everything up, wipe the server clean and install a fresh lamp stack already upgraded by the host we are renting from! They have complete server images all ready to go just wipe and reimage. That to me seems the way to go. 

Which means a day or two vfrd will be offline as I do backups and reimage the server, shoot if they have a newer server for the same price i may just migrate the whole thing to a better server. That's what i did 4 years ago, I'm sure there are special offers available that match the price we pay now or close enough. 

I will keep you all informed. Get ready yall prolly will hate it...as usual. I cant wait for the comments when they come. 

• Member Contributer

Let's hope there is no new meltdown that wipes a lot of stuff....  :beer:

• Member Contributer

^keep score Dutchy

HS I dont know what all that jibba jabba is about but I'm sure YOU'RE THE MAN to get it all sorted.

The effort is appreciated even if we don’t understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I second what Sweeper say’s. Thanks for donating so much of your time for the benefit of us all. 

• Member Contributer

I know there usually some growing pains with updates, so I'm not complaining, just wondering where the PM inbox is? Having trouble locating it...😀

• Member Contributer

Are keny and me the only ones not seeing pictures? :computer-noworky:

• Member Contributer

No pictures either, let’s wait and see. Am sure they will reappear at some stage.

• Forum CEO

I am still working on this, the uploads package I made is missing some files but the downloaded backup I got off the server before I started might have more of the missing photos.  I am reopening the server backup again. It the entire server so I had to remove the uploads part of it manually and well I must have missed some photos when I did the package.  So i will try it again with the original backup.

The upgrade did not go well at all, the backup from the server errored out every time I tried to restore it with plesk, the server software I use for vfrd to run the server.  the new version must not like the old version backup?  So I manually made a package to restore it from the original backup the old sever made. 

• Member Contributer

Thank God clever people like HS do all this stuff for us. I wouldn’t know where to begin. 

Thanks HS - really appreciated. 

Maybe you should budget a few bucks to farm out the dirty work to a techie, Miguel.

Or maybe some members here could contribute tech support instead of cash.

Rock on, man!

• Member Contributer

I have offered help in the past.  HS obviously has everything under control.

Just hope all of the good data and information on here isn't lost one day when the controller isn't able to do his thing.  Happened to a few forums over the years, really disappointing when it happens.

Should consider delegating some responsibility or have a backup plan

Archived