new owner, need help with windscreen (it's too tall)

Chromedome

• Member Contributer

Hey guys, I searched all over but couldn't find any help. Main issue is that the windscreen puts air right at the bottom of my helmet. I have no interest in moving the air higher, but lower. I'd like to get it to where all my other bikes have been (after working long and hard to minimize wind noise) with stock (low) windscreens that put the air at my shoulders and keeps my Shoei GT-Air in clean air, where it's whisper quiet. Does anyone know of lower windscreens? I'm 5'9" btw, I suspect taller riders are in cleaner air. 

EDIT: ok, solution found. I ended up building a bit of a spoiler under the light after hearing there may be a lot of wind (compared to other bikes) coming up the fork tubes. Also, I found that lowering the air stream (to about my shoulders) was the solution. I bought a stock shaped Zero Gravity screen and trimmed what must be 8 inches off of it. The screen is now probably only about six inches tall. I just did about 800 miles in 3 days and the reduction in turbulence is huge. When the winds were fairly calm, even at about 75 MPH all I heard in my Shoei GT-Air was a very quiet whoosh. :)

Before trimming the screen I had also tried a Puig screen and a National Cycle screen. Btw, I'm selling this National Cycle screen if anyone wants it. Used for just two days, in pretty much perfect condition.

VFR_Side_Only.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am 5'9" and have same problem with Corbin seat. I am sure they are made for tall people with big butts!

I ditched the clip ons and put raised/raked handle bars on, fixed the issue. Or, butt augmentation surgery might help! 🙂

• Member Contributer

Ok, I just discovered today that the tabs at the front of the Corbin seat were sitting on top of the ... metal tabs that hold it in place, not under it. So, that lowered the front of the seat about a half inch. It was an improvement. I'll still hope to find the stock seat and send it to Frank Spencer at www.greatdaytoride.com He took the wood plank on my RC51 and turned it into a very comfortable ride. I did 800 miles in 3 days on it with no issues. Check him out. Incredible difference it made. :)

Still totally screwed with this windscreen. So much wind noise coming home today. :(  I thought that after 5 years of trying everything I was done, had it licked, had a nice setup and wouldn't have to deal with loud turbulent noise but alas! I really need a lower screen. Anyone?

• Member Contributer

I agree with you about a lower screen perhaps being the better choice for riders in the 5'9" range, which is me also.  A lot depends on the helmet as well.  I have used the accessory touring screen at times and it perhaps helps calm the air a little but it also seems to make things louder.  It's good if its really cold out to get the wind reduced around my neck area otherwise I tend to leave it off.  I am using a Shoei RF1200, FWIW.  I had a Corbin and also didn't like it.  I have a Sargent now, which suffers a little of the problem of having a pocket that is slide back into but its not as bad and can be somewhat avoided.  Knowing what I know now I would have requested a slightly different shape from Sargent.  Post up if you find a shorter screen. 

I have a stock seat that I could sell you if you are looking for something to send away to get modified to replace the Corbin.  message me if interested. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks. I'll send you a PM so I don't forget. I'm going to give the previous owner some time to find it.

When my GT-Air is in clean air it's the quietest helmet I've ever owned, and I've owned/tried about 27 helmets in the last five years. I sure hope I can get this air moved down to my shoulders. 😞 At this point, I might take the damn screen off completely. The turbulence and noise is hugely distracting.

• Member Contributer

Okay, it looks like the Zero Gravity SR screen is lower and smaller. I ordered one today so I'll let you guys know how it works out. 

https://www.pureperformancecycles.com/zero-gravity-sr-windscreen-2010-2013-honda-vfr1200f.html

stock.thumb.JPG.c9594e4b266fa9e77f9dc1f7ef6c3529.JPGzero.thumb.JPG.3801e1577c95c02f5e908594931c305c.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi. I have 2 stock seats (1 recovered in red/black), and a Puig screen. I'd be willing to trade plus cash for your Corbin. Where are you located? I'm in NJ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got the SR windscreen above and... exact same shape as stock. It sure looks better, hiding the vent/port area. So, since I just seem to hate money... I'm going to try the National Cycle screen at $170(!). 

http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/honda/hondavfr1200f/2010hondavfr1200f/n20005.html

In the meantime, I'm going to look into finding a professional way to trim this Zero Gravity screen down and of course polish the edges. I'll look for some shop/business that specializes in custom polycarbonate (or whatever material it's made of) windows of some kind. I am loving this bike but I sure wish I get get the air to hit my lower like my ZX-9R or CBR1100xx.

I tried the National Cycle touring VStream N20006 and found it very noisy with lots of buffeting.  I’m 5’9” and have Helibars.  I switched back to stock.

• Member Contributer

I had read a negative review about that taller one, 06. I got N20005, or whatever the sport model number is.

Any good glass shop should be able to cut down the shield and polish the edges.  They simply cut them with a jig saw so you could actually cut it yourself and then ask the shop to use their belt polisher to smooth the edges.   They might just polish the edges for free as well if you catch them at the right time and/or they ride.

• Member Contributer

First ride with the N20005 model, the shorter one. Odd, seems even shorter than National Cycle's website says it should be at ~52 cm vs. 60 cm. It does seem like there's much less buffeting so I'll be running this one until I can get my Zero Gravity screen shortened. It looks like I can shorten it ~2" without it getting too ugly which should be enough since sitting an inch or two taller puts me in cleaner air.

• Member Contributer

So, not happy with the National Cycle screen. I had talked about finding someone to cut (and edge polish) my ZG screen but decided I should try myself. Ending up scribing the shield using a set of digital calipers then cutting it with a Dremel and cutting wheel. It's not perfectly straight but will do for me. I then used a headlight polishing kit to polish the edge and some of the other scratches. I took off about 1.75". Let's hope it helps! 

IMG_20190330_151211.jpg

IMG_20190330_151130.jpg

• Member Contributer

Better, but still turbulent air hitting the bottom of my helmet. I now have a great method of cutting, smoothing the edge and polishing it. I'll share for posterity.

Simply, I use a Dremel and small cutting wheel. I use the gap created between the chuck and cutting wheel to help set the line and guide me. I then clean up the cut with a palm sander starting with 100 grit then 500.

I then finish polishing (and clean up any scratches from slips) with the process as described in this Mothers headlight polishing kit (which, by the way, works really well for yellowed headlights).

Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZLMEPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZxzQCb4963BPZ

I'll keep trimming this visor down as low as it needs to go. Even if it ends up just a little 4 inch screen. I think it looks awkward in pictures but looks perfectly normal and natural in person.

aff9ae0938364d549c00b51393aacdd4.jpgbc92411483ad87361137455017f80cd5.jpgfa3f02d4a769787f64ebfe95905900d5.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Very interested in your results.  I took the opposite track and first got a bigger/taller windscreen that increase the buffeting, then cut holes in the lower part thinking there was too much of a vacuum/back draft behind the windscreen that caused so much turbulence, then installing a MRA-X-Creen, all of which didn’t really result in as comfortable/quiet ride as my ‘76 Goldwing w/ a Vetter fairing.  Now back to the original w/ the MRA-X-Creen installed to mimick the Honda auxiliary.  It’s okay, but certainly not the result I was hoping.  Re:  helmet turbulence.  I noticed when I raise my arm under my helmet, it quiets the wind.  Perhaps it’s a direction I’ll have to look in to. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah this turbulence is such a problem it could end up being a deal-breaker for me. Both my Blackbird and ZX-9R have much lower screens that are also at a lower angle and have the air hitting almost at chest height. Quite comfortable helping to hold my body up and keeps my helmets in clean air helping to remain quiet. Especially with the Shoei GT Air. I'm confident that what I did will be better the last time and much better than stock. It's just a matter of how low do I go.

• Member Contributer

Wow, it's better but not good enough. Still too much turbulence getting at the underside of the helmet. I may not be able to shorten it enough since the bubble is very tall in the z axis (best way I can think of to describe it?) and also the angle is fairly steep. I had only a Blackbird from about 2013 to 2017. Right away I put an MRA Vario screen on it and IIRC I had no complaints but am now running the stock screen and with this kind of low angle (see below) the wind hits me at about the top of my pecs. Super clean air at the underside of my helmet and very quiet. My ZX-9R is the same. 

I'm sort of baffled how it seems like so many of you don't seem to have issues with this bike's aero qualities and what I perceive to be crazy turbulence. I'm going to test soon by removing the windscreen entirely. I'll turn this bike into a naked bike if needed. If I can't get rid of this turbulence issue I'll have to sell it. I already need to sell my Blackbird anyway and am never giving up my ZX-9R (long story) anyway so... I bought this VFR because I saw it come up for sale locally at a great price and with factory panniers and I was always curious to own one of these. Cool thing is I've already blown like $1,500 on it between the DAM exhaust and Veefour cruise 😕

FWIW, I'd probably never have bought my last two bikes over the last nine months (bought and sold an RC51 before this bike) if I wasn't run off the road last June which sort of totaled my Ninja. I have all the parts to fix it. I just need to straighten or replace the forks. I already have new bodywork and bought a brand new frame (at $1450!) and once it's back together, if I can't get this turbulence issue fixed it will ultimately be my only bike. Well, unless a pristine ZX-12R comes up for sale - gotta own one of those. Or a clean affordable Ducati 1098/1198... or a ... well, a whole bunch of bikes that I'll add as a 2nd bike, ride, sell, try another bike, but plan to keep the ZX-9R for a long time. Sorry if I'm babbling 🙂

image.png.b2a28f37418744ddf972501f99da0f4d.png

• Member Contributer

Interesting. This seems like it would make the air go higher. I bookmarked it. I guess I'd give it a shot before selling the bike. Thx.

• Member Contributer

Seems counter intuitive but, I just taped over the gap in the front of the screen which is supposed let air behind the screen to reduce the lower pressure area behind the screen and calm things down.  I'll report back after I ride to work tomorrow.  Stock screen, FWIW.

• Member Contributer

Alright, so HERE's the experiment. And I suspect the big fascia in the front is going to give me a bit of wind protection so this may end up being my solution. However, unless it grows on me (and maybe I'd go so far as to trim the windscreen ... posts(?) down to around the mirror), I wonder if I'll just be selling this bike when my Ninja's fixed. I'd be sure to source another front cowl first. This weekend I'll be trimming the ZG screen even lower, and especially down around the ... posts. Am definitely curious to see any effect of the holes in the front now.

IMG_20190409_142356.jpg

IMG_20190409_142346.jpg

trimmed_screen.jpg

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Ch.P said:

I used this on my '02, helped the turbulence quite a bit. Might be worth a try.

https://saeng.com/product/micro-swirl-trim/

Boy, that stuff's not cheap. Any chance you have extra laying around? And if I attach it can it be removed and reapplied to another shield? Wow, I just saw they have a money-back guarantee? Also, did you see this one instead? https://saeng.com/product/gen-4-edging/

Archived