Powder coated wheels on 5th Gen

Headhunter

• Member Contributer

I'm with FJ - why black? Which of the two VFRs below looks better?

I admit that keeping white wheels clean is a pain. So, paint 'em silver, grey, gold, or any colour other than black. Black makes it near impossible to appreciate the shape of the wheel.

Save money and just let 'em stay dirty 😉

tricolore VFR800 2.jpg

• Member Contributer

OEM is black, I wanted something more than OEM. Black just doesn't grab the eye IMO.

So I went with red. Never too much of a good thing. :beer:

XoHrKhf.jpg

I've always been partial to white, but bronze has seriously grown on me. Can't bring myself to powder coat these white so I'll snag a spare set to powder white and keep an extra set of tires mounted and balanced to swap between. 

IMAG3711.jpg

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, MiniCarver said:

I've always been partial to white, but bronze has seriously grown on me.

The wheel colour in your photo has me reconsidering what to do the next time I repaint my VTec's wheels. It reminds me of the wheel colour on my '91 VFR750.

• Member Contributer

Duc2V4 says Honda calls that lovely gold on the 91 wheels ‘Summer Blond’

Sounds like an expensive light beer. Or a mistress.

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

Duc2V4 says Honda calls that lovely gold on the 91 wheels ‘Summer Blond’

Sounds like an expensive light beer. Or a mistress.

I've also seen it as "Summer Blond Metallic" - it does have some tiny flakes in it.  Beautiful color.  I tried to see if Colorite had / would produce it - no dice.

• Member Contributer

Powdercoating materials manufacturer Prismatic Powders makes a 'Prismatic Gold' and a 'Clear Metallic' that when used together would get pretty close to Summer Blond Metallic

On 3/3/2019 at 1:22 AM, Lorne said:

The wheel colour in your photo has me reconsidering what to do the next time I repaint my VTec's wheels. It reminds me of the wheel colour on my '91 VFR750.

I liked the wheel color on the 91. It was just a bit lighter if I recall correctly. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, sfdownhill said:

Powdercoating materials manufacturer Prismatic Powders makes a 'Prismatic Gold' and a 'Clear Metallic' that when used together would get pretty close to Summer Blond Metallic

I had my clutch cover, stator cover, cylinder head covers, and upper triples powdered to match the 2014 wheel and prismatic Powders triple bronze was the closest I had found. 

IMAG1675.jpg

IMAG1681.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MiniCarver said:

I had my clutch cover, stator cover, cylinder head covers, and upper triples powdered to match the 2014 wheel and prismatic Powders triple bronze was the closest I had found. 

That looks excellent!

Did you weigh the 8th Gen wheels by chance?

3 hours ago, adkfinn said:

That looks excellent!

Did you weigh the 8th Gen wheels by chance?

Not yet, i'm looking for a second set of wheels to powder coat white, because well...you can't have a Red white and blue interceptor and not have a set of white wheels for it. i'll probably weigh the extra set I find and compare that to both the 5 spoke and 8 spoke wheels.

• Member Contributer
54 minutes ago, MiniCarver said:

Not yet, i'm looking for a second set of wheels to powder coat white, because well...you can't have a Red white and blue interceptor and not have a set of white wheels for it. i'll probably weigh the extra set I find and compare that to both the 5 spoke and 8 spoke wheels.

Wholly agreed on white wheels for the RWB VFR. If you do get a set and weigh them please share the results. I haven't found weights listed yet and I have been considering these wheels for my 5th Gen. 

• Member Contributer

The 8th gen wheels won't fit the 5th gen without some modifications: they are 5 hole and the 5th gen are 4 hole.

Or do you have a plan in place to get them to fit?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

The 8th gen wheels won't fit the 5th gen without some modifications: they are 5 hole and the 5th gen are 4 hole.

Or do you have a plan in place to get them to fit?

My idea was to research swapping the hubs or similar. I hadn't dug into it yet, was initially trying to see if I could land on the wheel weights to gauge whether or not it was it was even worth considering.

3 hours ago, adkfinn said:

My idea was to research swapping the hubs or similar. I hadn't dug into it yet, was initially trying to see if I could land on the wheel weights to gauge whether or not it was it was even worth considering.

All you have to do is swap the axle. The 8th gen axle will drop straight into the 5 or 6 gen swingarm if you don't feel like swapping to this gorgeous swingarm lol. However the 6 and 8 gen swingarms are slightly longer than the 5gen swingarm so that will also add a bit of length to the wheelbase. 

IMAG3850.jpg

• Member Contributer

the rear wheel on the 8 gen is about 6oz heavier than the 6 gen.

I have the weights listed on one of my threads when I first swapped rear wheels in 2015-2016

• Member Contributer

UpArrow.

Did you strip your wheels down to bare metal? If so, how did that go. Thinking of doing the same.

Edit; never mind, I read your purchase post from January. Nice bike and great find.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

the rear wheel on the 8 gen is about 6oz heavier than the 6 gen.

I have the weights listed on one of my threads when I first swapped rear wheels in 2015-2016

Thanks for this, I'll do some reading. 

Edit - Found the thread: 

Great thread, good info. Thanks @3dcycle

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/11/2019 at 3:25 AM, MiniCarver said:

IMAG1675.jpg

IMAG1681.jpg

Thanks for doing the legwork to find Prismatic's Triple Bronze as a match for 8 gen accent colors. Did you try Triple Bronze out on a test piece before having all those parts coated?

Archived