Rear tire size up to 190??

Kuke

So I'll be in the market for a new rear tire before the snow melts here in the great armpit of the world, northern Pennsylvania. I was just wondering if there are any benefits or drawbacks to moving up one tire size, from 180 to 190. Or can it not even be done? Never thought of it or tried it. Keep in mind that stock rim will still be used. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

What's wrong with the stock size? If you try to fit too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim, you cause the tire to

be slightly deformed. They recommend the tires sizes for a reason.

• Member Contributer

Well if you do it use a 190/55 the logical thought would be to use a 190/50 which are cheap as chips, but they  would actually be a smaller diameter once fitted to a 5.5” rim.  The 190/50 would slow the steering. A 190/55 will raise the rear by a few mm thus increasing the steering angle, but may still slow the steering due to the larger diameter & increased weight !  

Try it & let us know the results ! 

I used a 190/50 for a little while before i put the 1098S 6" rear wheel on. It was ok on the stock 5.5" and rubbish on the 6".

180/55 was better on the stock wheel for me.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

What's wrong with the stock size? If you try to fit too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim, you cause the tire to

be slightly deformed. They recommend the tires sizes for a reason.

Nothing is wrong with stock size. I only ask because I recently put new skins on my truck and was able to move up one size, which lifted my truck 3/4 inch. They just happen to not have my size and I needed them. So I just got to thinking if it was done on moto scooty tires also. I'm probably not going to attempt it, just wondering. Thanks for the info.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, motorcycle tires are a lot less forgiving about rim width and tire size. Trying to put a larger aspect

ratio tire on the same size rim can cause the tread to "tuck in" and you could actually end up with a smaller

footprint than you had with the narrower tire. And possibly have contact between tire and chain or swingarm.

Sometimes you just have to be happy with function over "form".

Some people do it, but they are usually the ones more interested in how a bike looks rather than how it functions.

Harley riders and cruiser riders in general fall into this category. It's generally referred to as the "Ooh, ooh, don't I

look cool even though I can't lean to go around a corner" category.

Archived