Fuel pump is not working or?

Jeffreyski

Hi Guys, I don't know if I have to go somewhere else to say HI, as I'm new to this forum.

I have problems with my VFR since I bought it (used) 3 years ago (or four, who would count ;p).

But most currently problem is about not working fuel pump (no starting noise after turn on ignition) and vfr doesn't start. 

Where should I start working on that problem? I had enough of mechanics as they take money and still there are problems with my bike on and on...

Here photo of mine bike  taken by me: 

DSC_1811.jpg

The fuel pump unit that Honda used in the fuel injected generations of the VFR is a pretty robust and long lasting item. 

Before deciding that there's something physically wrong with your fuel pump I would first do an inspection and testing to see if the electrical connections at the bottom of the fuel tank are in good condition and then use a voltmeter to see if these wires are getting 12 volt power when you key-switch the bike to "On".  Also, you should trace the wiring to and from the fuel pump connections to determine whether the fuel pump has a good path-to-ground (negative) connection to insure that the 12 volt power can flow in a normal manner through the fuel pump.

• Member Contributer

Witamy Jeffreyski. Very nice looking bike.

Fault finding the Fuel Pump is generally an easy one!

Firstly, have you Downloaded the Service Manual from this site (Home page - Downloads)? 

Have you checked the Fuses - the two Main 30amp fuses and Sub fuse C 10a? (Starter, Bank Angle Sensor).

Don't laugh and call me a dickhead BUT,......is your Kill Switch in the RUN position????? You wouldn't be the first to be caught out by the Kill Switch!

An important question here is, does the engine crank over when you hit the Starter Button OR is there NO engine Cranking? - This could point to a faulty Kill Switch.

Does your bike have HISS (Honda Ignition Security System)?

Remember, the ECM provides the switching Ground for the Fuel Cut Relay which powers your Fuel Pump.

So first establish the fuses are ok. Then, as GreginDenver suggested, unplug the Fuel Pump lead, stick your voltmeter probes on the lead and determine that at Ignition Turn ON you get 12v for a couple of seconds?

You can easily verify the Fuel Pump operation by carefully using some test leads and powering it directly from the battery.

Lets know how you go with the above suggestions as a starting point.

Check out the basic PGM-Fi Diagram and you can see how the Fuel Pump is controlled.

image.png

Archived