1986 VF1000R "New addition" making progress

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Nice work Captain, the lower belly cleaned up really well w/o the flags....

That's because those are actually the 1985 half. 

latest?cb=20111103064141

• Member Contributer

That came out really nice!

I would be curious to hear what yours sounds like with the Kerkers.

One of my R's has Kerkers and I'm not a fan. I wonder if it would be worth the effort to try and repack them.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, FromMaine said:

That came out really nice!

I would be curious to hear what yours sounds like with the Kerkers.

One of my R's has Kerkers and I'm not a fan. I wonder if it would be worth the effort to try and repack them.

Thank you!!

There is nothing unpleasant about these Kerkers for me.  They are mellow at idle but have a nice scream on the throttle.  Sounds like yours are in desperate need of some re-packing.  If you haven't done it, then I guarantee they need it.  Everyone's taste is different, but these are not raspy at all.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input. I have ordered some packing and will give it a go.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Got a few more test rides in and clutch was starting to slip.  Not surprised, even expected it.  Had a new EBC kit waiting.  But I was also having some issues downshifting,  Around the shop and slow speeds no problem, but at any real speed it just wouldn't downshift until I got down close to stop.  Time to tear in to it.

full?d=1566224281

I suspected it was damage to the shift shaft from the wreck and I found a nice low mile example to have on hand if that was the problem.  Well, it was.  It was bent on the shifter end and one of the "paws" that grabs the drum for downshifting was essentially missing.  You can see the damage on the left lower hook.

full?d=1566314392

Test ride last night was all good.  Shifts perfectly now (whew).  New clutch feels nice.  Couple little tweaks to do but now I can really ride her, now that I can really downshift.  I hadn't been on it in a while since I've been rebuilding the carbs on the new (to me) ST1100 and replacing all the coolant o-rings in the V of the motor.  Man this updated chassis is such a treat.  I can trail brake and do mid-corner brake adjustments and it doesn't affect it.  Doesn't make it want to stand up, just holds it's line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Couple small updates:

Installed the CBR1000 clutch master cyl to match the brake.

full?d=1566919741

Came up with some front signals.  Re-shaped the under headlight vent to be flat where the screws mount it and used these LEDs as the bolts.  They are very bright and work great.

full?d=1567008171

Touched up the bodywork, fine cut with an orbital and then full wax job.  Bodywork still has a lot of little issues but looks pretty good.

full?d=1567193632

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Back together after replacing counter shaft seals, shift shaft seal, clutch rod seal and water pump o-ring.  Not fun scraping that gasket.  Oh...  and the frame member has to be removed to remove the water pump.

full?d=1572880691

New counter shaft sprocket since I was there.

full?d=1573664669

full?d=1574355998

• Member Contributer

This was a 35 year old gasket, baked on and hard as a rock. Not sure that would have helped except make a mess.

But I'll find some and try on the next project.

Sometimes I think I deserve to scrape for being dumb enough to have this many older bikes.

• Member Contributer

As for "old", the 1954 Gilera makes me the village dumb idiot then eh? :tongue:

IMG-20191031-WA0013.thumb.jpeg.849b164c7f6bb703a6ac14703a4e0ea1.jpeg

"Stay on course Captain, steady as they go" :beer:

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, Captain 80s said:

Couple small updates:

Installed the CBR1000 clutch master cyl to match the brake.

full?d=1566919741

Came up with some front signals.  Re-shaped the under headlight vent to be flat where the screws mount it and used these LEDs as the bolts.  They are very bright and work great.

full?d=1567008171

Touched up the bodywork, fine cut with an orbital and then full wax job.  Bodywork still has a lot of little issues but looks pretty good.

full?d=1567193632

Damnit that is one sexy bitch!   Nice job Capt!

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's how she (actually guess it's a HE, It's name is Aaron) looks now.

20191120_160350.thumb.jpg.847d0f4906f6fdbaffbbb9ef02a0f7d2.jpg

I also eliminated the front under mounts.  They were hitting the fender when the suspension was compressed in low speed maneuvers.  All good now.  Added some running lights in the turn signal bracket reliefs.

20200531_181450.thumb.jpg.a75660a490cd924ccef1ff992445f0e3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived