1986 VF1000R "New addition" making progress

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Well my starter thread got archived. 

New Addition

So here's where I'm at.

Upper cowl stay is now straight. Here it has a set of 85 bodywork to make sure I got it back to where it needs to be.

full?d=1548546929

That was tough.  Lots of heating and pulling and heating and smacking.  But it looks really good. 

And this 85 half:

full?d=1506801212

And the "good" half from the original 86 set (here's the remnants).

full?d=1550606475

Now make this

full?d=1550073991

full?d=1550606726

85 left, 86 right.  Fuck it.

full?d=1550606726

• Member Contributer

Carbs are out and I'm replacing all of the coolant pipe o-rings in the V of the motor.

full?d=1548862730

This one was ready to fail.  Glad I decided to replace everything.

full?d=1550073991

• Member Contributer

The left bar is now straight, I extracted the stuck fr brake master cyl cap screw, and it is getting "new" switch gear to get rid of the shitty early switch assemblies.

full?d=1549783787

RC51 throttle housing and a CBR1000RR starter switch.  The RC51 starter switch has the correct plug, but the lead is too short to make it to it's location on the wire harness side. 

So, original lead made to be connected the the "new" RR switch.  These lengths put the mid connectors right behind the right frame cover for easy replacement if needed.

full?d=1550415329

• Member Contributer

The "new" fairings had some damage around the mirror holes, so I made up some covers to hide and encapsulate the damage.

full?d=1550589969

Held in place with some thin, high strength double backed foam.  There's an o-ring under the cap to put a little pressure when the mirrors are installed.

full?d=1550589969

full?d=1550589969

full?d=1550590318

• Member Contributer

Nice work. Good to know about the RR starter switch, I'll keep that filed away for the future.

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, FromMaine said:

Nice work. Good to know about the RR starter switch, I'll keep that filed away for the future.

And like I said, the RC51 has the correct plug if you are missing everything.  Just need to lengthen the leads and relocate the terminals withing the plug the match the wire harness side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Swingarm and linkage now free of 30+ years of chain grime.  That was not fun.

full?d=1551149449

Bearings all clean and repacked with Bel-Ray water proof grease, and everything assembled and torqued.  New shock fit perfectly.  +5mm ride height. 

full?d=1551327167

• Member Contributer
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, Captain 80s said:

Swingarm and linkage now free of 30+ years of chain grime.  That was not fun.

full?d=1551149449

Bearings all clean and repacked with Bel-Ray water proof grease, and everything assembled and torqued.  New shock fit perfectly.  +5mm ride height. 

full?d=1551327167

What shock did you use?

Nice looking ss line on the clutch slave. That's going to be a pretty unique daily rider when done.

• Member Contributer
On 3/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, Dutchy said:

Looks like an YSS.,....

Correct!  full?d=1543862269

• Member Contributer

full

1994 CBR1000F fork tubes in 1991 VFR lowers with upgraded springs.  3.5x17 CBR1000F wheel and will get 1991 VFR brake calipers.  Setting up new lathe at work to machine a hub and some spacers to fit the 5.5x17 VTR1000F rear wheel.  Oh yeah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, Captain 80s said:

So, original lead made to be connected the the "new" RR switch.  These lengths put the mid connectors right behind the right frame cover for easy replacement if needed.

What connectors are you using? I like those much better than stuff I've found locally. Do they come with the clear shield, or are you cutting tubing?

• Member Contributer

It's a cheap kit off of Amazon. Comes with clear protectors.   The metal is a little thin, but no problems.

And they are the correct size to integrate with the stock harness connectors too.

• Member Contributer

Any crimping tool you'd recommend? I usually solder most of my connections, but for some OEM ones that just need a new fitting it makes more sense to crimp on a connector that fits.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, evl_twn said:

Any crimping tool you'd recommend? I usually solder most of my connections, but for some OEM ones that just need a new fitting it makes more sense to crimp on a connector that fits.

34-9109_L.jpg

Rolls and crimps those style connectors perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Getting closer.  Finally got the lathe set up at work and did some machining.

full?d=1556117340

Was able to mount up the wheel and check fitment.

full?d=1556547704

Perfect fit and chain alignment is spot on.  One last spacer to make for the far right side now that I verified actual clearances on the brake side.

full?d=1556547914

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Upper triple has some serious key fob wear, so it got a new color.  Kinda a bronze/grey.  Came out nice.

full?d=1557602351

full?d=1557756820

All the wheel spacers are now done.  Hub has the studs in it.  Forks have oil in them and painted to match the frame, and the front wheel is painted.

Rear brake stay solution is complete.  929 caliper bracket with a press-fit sleeve I machined to bring it down to 20mm.

full?d=1557412004

I made the bracket and the stainless torque "arm".  Caliper bracket is drilled and tapped.

full?d=1557877521

full?d=1557877521

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

More progress.

full?d=1560051101

Rebuilt brakes are assembled.  Trimmed the rear turn signal mounts and reshaped the fender.

Cockpit is looking pretty good.  Switched to a CBR1000F master cyl so the double banjo bolt on the individual lines could clear the dash.  I have a CBR1000 clutch master on the way so they will match.

full?d=1560051025 

Need to solder in the reg/rect and install a fuel cut relay switch and a fan switch.  I removed the casting for the side stand rubber so my boot can fit under the shift pedal easier too.  I also installed a 1000F left engine mount since I'm not using the stock shock (where the damping cable and air hose normally mount).

full?d=1560050934

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Before:
[IMG]

After:
[IMG]

I still need to give everything a fine cut / polish and do a bunch of touch up. The white fender is very hard to get used to, but after spinning around for just one evening it already seems OK.
[IMG]

The wide wheels and radials, new suspension and brakes feel amazing.
[IMG]

• Member Contributer

I feel ya on the white fender..

IMG_20190702_124339.thumb.jpg.5ad0f1d3fa91694401b460ae442ed79e.jpg

Nice work Captain, the lower belly cleaned up really well w/o the flags....

Archived